Monday, January 9, 2012

Theresa's Introduction

Hello all! My name is Theresa Govert; I am a junior majoring in Psychology with a Women’s Studies minor. This trip came onto my radar because I’ve been very lucky to know many women from the Women’s Center who have taken this trip. They came back with stories of adventure, change, immersion and self-reflection that made me realize that this trip was not like any other offered by study abroad.  Not only would I be taking classes in South Africa, but I would be doing an internship. Since one of my passions is ending violence against women, a world-wide crisis, the opportunity to work with, collaborate, share and learn from the people of South Africa in the steps they are taking to end the violence, is an exceptional opportunity. I’m excited to take what I will learn and use it to color my work ending violence at UConn and in my future endeavors.

Traveling to Cape Town with this program has been in the back of my mind ever since my first year at UConn. I remember reading the Cape Town blog, and someone having the quote, “If you have come to help me, you are wasting our time.  If you have come here because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” It wasn’t until later when I came home and parroted the quote to my dad that he said that he had a similar quote up in his office, when we lived in Kenya, “'If you have come to help me you can go home again. But if you see my struggle as part of your own survival then perhaps we can work together.”  I think most would call this a coincidence, but for me it was a message. It was at this moment that I understood that this trip was for me; for me to learn, and explore, and expand my comfort zone and work together with people across the world to help make it a better place for us all.

I anticipate missing my family and friends dearly, but their excitement for me and technological advances which allow me to basically simulate being in the same room as them has quelled any, if all qualms I have about being half-way across the world. I am beyond thrilled to be sharing this adventure with the other students and Marita, and the thunder of a plane taking off below me on Thursday cannot come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment