Monday, January 23, 2012

Meika comfortably settling into Cape Town


Meika arrives at the place she will call home for  then next 3 1/2 months



It’s hard to believe I have only been in Cape Town for a little over a week.  I feel like I have already seen so much.  This orientation has definitely showed me how much Cape Town has to offer.  In addition, I feel so comfortable here with the people on this program, our new home, and the city as a whole. 
Meika with housemates Brittany, Theresa, Erica & Mackenzi
This orientation has been such a whirlwind for me.  Every day seems to encompass so many different experiences.  Today was a perfect example of that.  In the morning we went to Sivuyile National Baptist Church in a township called Guguletu.  We participated in Sunday worship, and the service was almost entirely in Xhosa.  Even so, I felt like I really understood the spirit of this church and it’s members.  Everyone participated in singing these beautiful hymns that were booming and SO filled with passion.  I have never been to anything like this service, and it was a rewarding experience. 

Later we attended a concert at Kirstenbosch Gardens featuring two musicians named Dan Patlansky and Natasha Meister.  The grounds at Kirstenbosch were beautiful.  It was right at the foot of Table Mountain and everywhere you turned was green and lush.  We all brought blankets and picnicked together.  The music was fun, and it made for some great people watching.  J  I really enjoyed Kirstenbosch, and I would love to go back soon. 
Kirstenbosch Summer Concert

While these experiences could not be more different, I think both are important in shaping my understanding of Cape Town.  Every day I see just how incredibly diverse this city is.  I will end by saying: I am so glad to finally be here!!

Meika's glad to finally be in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment