Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kimmi learning to take care and enjoy

Kimmi greets Cape Town with a big smile

I’ve been in Cape Town, South Africa for nearly a week now. I have felt a broad range of emotions within this week. After our 17-hour trip we finally arrived in Cape Town. I was exhausted the moment we arrived and was glad to find out that all we had to do on Friday was just have a meeting and eat pizza for dinner. At the meeting we learned some very important differences between the United States and South Africa. Ben, our RA, warned us to be very careful when using an ATM. There are a lot of scams that tourists may not be aware about before taking out money. If someone comes up to you at an ATM and offers you help ignore them. They are most likely just trying to “help you” so they can see your pin and then drain your account while the other person distracts you. You should also put in your card then hit the cancel button to make sure your card comes out. Sometimes people can hack into the machine and make it temporarily swallow your card. If this happens do not run away, stay at the ATM and have someone else get help. Or else those hackers are most likely going to come to the ATM, fix it and drain your account. That’s why it is important to go to the ATM in groups or with at least one other person.

I also noticed by just driving around that first of all they drive on the opposite side of the road as we do in the U.S. Therefore their steering wheel is on the opposite side of the car as well. Luckily I don’t have to worry about driving I think I would probably get in a car accident right away. The houses and backyards are all fenced in here as well. Since it is dangerous here it’s important to always lock up. Our house is very good at locking everything before, while and after we leave or are there.

This past week for orientation has been amazing just from all of the beautiful sites that we’ve visited and people that we’ve seen and met. In Rondebosch which a suburb of Cape Town and the neighborhood that we live in I’ve learned a lot just from walking around and shopping. In the grocery stores you need to bring your own bags or else you have to pay about five cents for them. Everything is cheaper here I bought my groceries for the week for about 20 US dollars. I can even enjoy a drink or two as well.
Kimmi, Kristin, Rina, Rebecca
I think out of all of the trips that we’ve been on so far I like the day in Cape Town where we learned about the slaves and walked around. It was interesting learning about South African slavery. I just felt so happy walking through St. George’s Mall in Cape Town bargaining with the street venders and listening to the musicians playing in the streets. The city itself seemed so alive and happening and I was just excited to be able to be part of it. The Jazz Restaurant made me feel the same way with eating some good fish and listening to the amazing jazz. It was a night to remember. As we have gone and swam with penguins, learned about District Six and local transportation I believe this has really helped me bond and get to know the group even better.

Kimmi, Rebecca & Kristin (facing camera)
I love living with everyone and am starting to feel comfortable here. I have to admit at first I was very homesick and miss my family, friends and boyfriend a lot but with the comfort of friends here and being in freaking Africa alone makes me feel happier and more comfortable. Everyday so far has been amazing and memorable and I know everyday here will be as well. I cannot wait for what the future brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment