Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ryan's intro

Hi my name is Ryan King and I am a junior majoring in allied health sciences at Uconn. 

In a few days from now we will be departing to Cape Town, South Africa to begin our four month journey into a unique study abroad experience that I am sure will be a life changing experience for all of us. Initially I had no intentions of studying abroad when first coming to Uconn, but over this past summer I had decided to ponder the idea of learning and living in a foreign country and thus began my quest for the perfect program.

 I first heard of this program through a friend of mine who participated last spring and had nothing but exciting stories to tell. After the study abroad fair and talking with other past participants, I knew that I had found the program for me and that I was ready to apply right away. What caught my eye the most however wasn’t that we will be staying in one of the most beautiful places in the world or the fact that my parents grew up in South Africa, but the internship opportunity that we are offered to help out others and the continuing campaign for human rights around the world. I was extremely excited when I found out that I was accepted into this program in October and even more when I found out that I will be interning at Tafelsig Community Clinic allowing me to help others get the care they need while gaining an invaluable insight and experience into health care field that I hope to become a part of one day.

As the 12th approaches, the day when we will all be reunited at JFK international, the wide range of emotions that I have been feeling becomes stronger and stronger. Emotions of excitement stem from the adventures that lie ahead, becoming a more independent person, meeting new people and family, visiting a new country, and working at the clinic. The nervous feelings that accompany this journey for me will be from the large distance from home, missing friends and family, adjusting to a new culture, and living with new people.

With the trip planned and all set for us to arrive on the 13th, I am far from ready in terms of packing and saying goodbyes, but well prepared to make the best of this opportunity and experience of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment