Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mackenzie: reflections and challenges

Mackenzi arriving in the rain
My fellow co-educators have done an excellent job thus far at describing this heavenly place. Like them, I find it hard to put what I have seen and done into words. Beautiful beaches, a lively city and enormous mountains that must be seen to be truly appreciated, surround us. Although the flight was long and lacking any kind of sleep J, upon arrival in Cape Town whatever fatigue I had immediately disappeared. We were greeted with warm breezes and hugs from Marita, Vernon, Gerta and Ben. In all honesty, I don’t know what it is about this place, but I immediately felt at home. Even so, I am shocked and feeling incredibly blessed knowing I will be living here for 3 ½ months.
1st day relaxing by the pool
In the afternoon of our first day in Cape Town, we had the pleasure of meeting Marita’s friend Sizwe. Sizwe naturally asked us what we thought upon our arrival, and I quickly responded with how beautiful this place seemed. I was surprised when he disagreed. His reaction brought to my attention while this is such a beautiful place, many individuals living here do not get to enjoy this beauty. Instead they are faced with the day to day difficulties found living in the townships. While they are still surrounded by the beautiful weather, they certainly do not have the luxuries that we have, such as living in a home with internet. Thinking about this reminds me of why I came here – to learn about the people of Cape Town. Yes, we are here to enjoy the wonderful things South Africa has to offer, but more importantly we are here to learn. To learn about people that are one in the same as us. To understand what issues exist here, and how we can contribute positively to this world- to help and prevent additional hardships. I realized once again how important it felt for me to empathize with these people, and see myself within them.
Mackenzi, Rebecca, Kristin, Rina at Maidens Cove
Lucy Campbell of
Transcending History Tours
On our 6th day in Cape Town, we were given an incredibly informational tour by Lucy Campbell at the Slave Lodge. Through-out the tour, Lucy often discussed how important it was for her to know her past and to solidify her identity. In this way, she could partake in her own healing. She looked at me at one point, and I guess I had so many thoughts running through my head that she could tell. She said to me “you look like you want to ask a question.” I didn’t say anything, but I did have many questions and thoughts. I recently have begun to practice yoga and meditation, and in this process have learned much about the ego and my idea of an “identity”. From the research I have done in the past couple of months, I began to develop the idea that identities are not necessarily positive. In some ways, I have begun to feel that they cause us stress. For when we take our identities too seriously, or believe that who we are is all we’ve got, then when we mess up – we have no option but to be seriously distressed. I began to think that identities were responsible for many of the issues we see today. People cling to their beliefs, and attribute who they are to their beliefs, so when they are challenged they see that their identity is being threatened – causing arguments which ultimately (in extreme circumstances) have turned into war – small, large, emotional, and physical. I felt that perhaps if people were more focused on this present moment, they could lessen the grip and attention given to the story that has created their identity, and lessen their pain. 

While this is all fine and good, I see that it cannot realistically be this way for every human on this planet. I can say these things, and I can believe these things because I have not been a victim of slavery. I have not been a victim to many of the things Lucy, and many others have been a victim too. Lucy found it important to accept who she is and what her past is.    Her identity was, rather than the cause of her pain, her vehicle for healing. It changed in my mind from a cause of pain, to a means of understanding. Its amazing that in 6 days, the philosophies I have developed such as this, can be challenged and new philosophies can be brought to my attention. It was a pleasure to meet Lucy, and I think she affected me more than she knew J.

So far, as you can tell, I have learned so much in this beautiful place. I cannot wait to learn and see more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment