Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kelsey eager to learn: history, language, and people's stories

Becky and Kelsey arriving at CPT airport
I don’t even know where to begin in my attempt to describe Cape Town and how I feel about what I’ve experienced so far. Coming into this I tried to keep my mind as open as possible in order to not prejudge this amazing city. However, I never remotely expected what I saw. Driving in from the airport was like climbing the social ladder. At first there was a river with litter and townships that were clearly the poorest inhabitants minus those that are homeless. The closer we got to our flat, the higher in economic scale we went. Rondebosch is an upscale place with hardly any litter. It just showed me that even though South Africa is still considered to be a developing country, it looks just like any other city in America – just cleaner. To me, if nothing else, this city and everything that comes with it will make me appreciate everything that I take for granted so much back home.  That is one of my main goals I wish to achieve upon this experience of a lifetime.
           Amariliz & Kelsey 
Among the many activities we’ve done, the museums have had a real impact on me - in particular, District 6 and the Slave Lodge Museums. As a history major, history is almost always told from the so called “white” perspective, or that of the enforcers, victors, or heroes which is only half the story. What about all the victims and the illiterate? It is exactly that side that was told in South Africa – those of the slaves and those non-white that were forcibly removed.  It made me want to learn more and connect to those affected on a deeper level. I found that to be so amazing. To make the Slave Trade even more incredible, our guide was a lady by the name of Lucy Cambell. Her views on life, liberty, and justice were so interesting. When she talked about us being the sole cause of global warming, I couldn’t resist but to question that. I know that humans have sped up the process of global warming but aren’t we, as a planet, still coming out of an ice age? I asked what her thoughts were on that and she said that the land is just reclaiming what is rightfully its own. I have never gotten that response before and it was really refreshing to see someone who is so in touch with the land.
           
While in Cape Town, I am trying to learn the language of Xhosa because it is one of the most prominent languages spoken at my internship in Mowbray. So far I can say hello, how are you, I’m good, me, you, and my name is. I still can’t click but I WILL learn, I’m absolutely determined to. It’s such a big part of the language that no matter how many things I can say, they mean nothing without the proper pronunciation. I can’t wait until I learn more.
Kelsey (far left) listens intently as Joe Schaffers describes growing up in District 6.
I want to close this entry with a comment on how nice the local people are. They strike up conversations with you and when they ask how your day is going they genuinely want to know how it is. Back home people say that out of rhythm it feels like and no one really cares but not here. I had a great conversation with a guy who worked at a store on the Waterfront today. We told each other about our lives and I learned he is the third youngest out of nine and the translations of all his siblings and his names. That never happens at home. Being here makes me want to make more of an effort to start up conversations with people. It is a great way to make connections and maybe even make friends. I am so excited as to what the next week has to bring. 

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment