Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Michael's Introduction

Hello all, I am about to live, study, volunteer, and work alongside twenty fellow University of Connecticut students in Cape Town, South Africa. We will be there for approximately four months. I will be posting entries to this blog throughout my time there.

I am jittery with anticipation for what I am about to start, there will be countless memories and fun to be had. Which is all well and good but honesty I am most excited for the potential personal growth that can spawn from what I am about to see and do. 

As an American I am privileged, and I am well aware of this, however I know I am not realistic or thankful enough for all that is afforded to me. The potential for growth in this area came to my attention when I was waiting for anti-malaria medication this past week. I had to wait in my doctors office for an hour and half and as time went by I became progressively more annoyed at the situation. Looking back I am embarrassed at how absurd my anger was. I was about to receive preventative care for a disease that kills millions. Unfortunately this is only one example of the ungrateful American condition manifesting itself in my everyday attitude, hopefully this will be curbed while I am abroad. 

I imagine the trip will be memorable, but I hope I leave with more than just memories. I hope that I come away with a more realistic and appreciative view of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment