Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nicole's Introduction

Hello! My name is Nicole Hellthaler and I am a sophomore. 

I have always dreamed of working with children, particularly those that are disabled. As a communication disorders major, I am on my way to becoming a speech pathologist. This is the only time while at the University of Connecticut that I can study abroad, so I jumped on the opportunity to go to a place I have never been before. I have never left the country, and was the child crying at my preschool graduation because I hated change. 

Now, I want nothing more than to go to Cape Town. After the study abroad fair, I knew this was the only place I wanted to go. Besides Cape Town being absolutely beautiful, the fact that we would have an internship as well as an activist project stood out to me. I loved that we would be working with and giving back to people in South Africa. Giving to others is extremely important to me, and I could not believe that my dream of leaving the country and my love of helping others were mixed into one opportunity.

While in Cape Town, I am looking forward to my internship working with autistic children. I also cannot wait to go into the townships and talk to people who have been through more than I can imagine. At times I know it is going to be hard, but I think it will also be very inspiring. Although we are going to help, I think those in South Africa are going to teach me more than I could ever imagine. Although I am nervous to leave the people I care about, I am so excited for this amazing adventure that I get to share with my best friend and my soon-to-be great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment