Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Introduction from Brandi

Hi everyone! My name is Brandi Stenglein and I am a sophomore at the University of Connecticut. I am studying elementary education with a concentration in math. I love working with kids so I figured that was the profession for me!

Since I have been in high school it has always been my goal and dream to travel to Africa. When I went to college, I never really thought about it until I went to the study abroad fair my first semester of my freshman year. There I met Marita and the energetic group of students that went to Cape Town the semester before. They were all so incredibly nice and had nothing but amazing things to say about it. After being there for thirty seconds I knew I would be going on this trip. I have been hooked on the UConn Study Abroad in Cape Town for two years now. I am so excited for the opportunity to learn about a new culture and be completely absorbed into it. The internship aspect of this program sounds incredible, and I cannot wait to meet all the children I will be working with and helping over the next semester. I also am very excited for the activist projects. I have heard nothing but amazing things about the projects so I am so eager to start mine! I am also very excited to become close with the group of students from UConn traveling with me. I know they are all amazing people and I can’t wait to spend time with all of them!
           
To be honest, I did not know much about Cape Town before I started on this journey. Through talking to people and reading about it, I feel like I know a little more about it…but nothing compared to what I will learn when I arrive. Everyone that has been there has nothing but positive things to say about South Africa- and the only thing I can say back is “Get me on a plane and get me there now!”
           
All in all, I am beyond excited for this trip. Although, since it is a day before leaving I am quite nervous but I think that is expected. I have never traveled this far from my family before, and I think that will be hard. Leaving my little brother for this long will probably be the most difficult aspect of this trip, but I know how great it will be to see him when I get back (and bring him presents too!).

I am currently counting down the hours, minutes, and seconds until I board the plane with the rest of my fellow UConn-ers to South Africa. Let the countdown begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment