Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kelsey's Introduction

Hey everyone! My name is Kelsey Halvorson and I am leaving for Cape Town tomorrow! It hasn't even hit me yet that this time tomorrow I will be on a plane on my way there! I've been told it will all hit me once i'm on the plane which is a bit nerve-racking. I cannot put to words my feelings on being given the opportunity to live out my life long dream in hours. I have been dreaming of experiencing Africa since I can remember. What makes it even better is that I will be making a difference in the community and myself. I am unbelievably excited for what's ahead of me! 

I am a junior at UCONN with a major in history and eventually secondary education. I'm considering minoring in women studies but that is still up in the air. My internship in South Africa is going to be working in Thandokhulu Secondary School in Mowbray which just puts the icing on the cake so to speak. It'll give me the perfect chance to practice my teaching skills and get some real first hand experience which will both help me throughout my future as a teacher. I mean it really doesn't get much better than that. As amazing as the next three and a half months are going to be, leaving behind all my friends and family isn't going to be easy. As soon as I get there I know it'll become so much easier though. As independent as I like to think I can be, I am so happy that there is Skype.  Keeping in contact with everyone back home is going to be really nice. I have a bunch more packing to do so i'll be writing more soon. 

Less than twelve hours until take off and counting AHHHHH :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment