Monday, January 16, 2012

Becky' realization: beauty cannot be fully captured in pictures

Flatmates: Becky, Kelsey, Rina, Amariliz
As I sit here thinking about what to write for my first official blog entry in Cape Town the first thing that comes to mind is my perception of the city before I came here. I have waited a long time to be here and over that year I would constantly look up pictures and information about Cape Town. I had expectations of what everything would be like when I arrived and started to explore, but what I now realize is that no picture I looked at or book I read will ever do this place justice. I am blown away by the beauty of this city and I cannot believe I am here. Even pictures that I have taken cannot take my breath away like the actual moments when I was staring at some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.
Nellie, Becky, Marie, Michael, Nicole, Brandi at Ethiopian Restaurant
As soon as we walked off the plane, the difference in social classes was extremely evident. One moment we would be driving by tin shacks on the side of the highway and then we would be in beautiful neighborhoods full of expensive cars and houses. There is such an unbalance in the distribution of money here and it is a very sad sight to see. I look at where we are living, the flat on Highstead Road and the house on Loch Road, and each is in an upscale section of Cape Town. I feel like it is not a true reflection of the lives a lot of Capetonians lead and I am really looking forward to some of the activities planned for later in orientation like our visits to the townships and internships.
Becky at Signal Hill 
I just want to finish off this entry with something that made me genuinely happy so far since I have arrived in Cape Town. I cannot get over how amazing it is seeing the wild animals native to the area. I have only ever seen these animals behind a fence or glass tank and being 5ft away from a penguin or seal is just one of the most amazing experiences. I hope everyone can experience that in their lifetime because animals are such beautiful creatures and seeing them living free is something you don’t get to witness in the United States.
Penguins at Boulders Beach


No comments:

Post a Comment