Thursday, January 19, 2012

Erica's found a community she has always dreamed of

Erica arriving at CPT airport

I have only been in Cape Town for about 6 days, and I am quickly falling in love with this beautiful and amazing city!  The 17 hours flight was worth the trip, and I would fly it any time.  I still can’t believe that I am actually here in Cape Town. The past five days have been filled with knowledge that I have gained from the history of South Africa and sight seeing. The landscape, mountains, and beaches are just breathtaking, I promise details or pictures will not do this country justice. I am still trying to soak in everything that I have seen thus far, and I am excited for what is to come.  I have to mention that the food in Cape Town is amazing! I can eat this food forever, I am afraid for my family and loved ones because I just might live here not only for the food the wonderful people. The people here are genuinely friendly and kind, I feel as if I am in a community that I have always dreamed of living in. 

We have been to Boulder’s beach, The Cape of Good Hope, Signal Hill, and Hout Bay. All of these places have been mind-blowing.  We went to a jazz restaurant called Swingers. The musicians were incredible; they were so passionate when playing.  I can not wait to go to another jazz restaurant called Blue Chip, because I am in the mood to see and listen to pure talent!
Monday night jazz with amazing musicians:  Darren English on horns, Alvin Dyers on guitar, Denver Furnes on drums, Nic Williams on keyboard, & Alistair Andrews on bass

I have a passion for history and I love learning about different cultures and how they impact society. I must say what I enjoyed the most were the two museums we visited. On Tuesday (1/17) we went to the District 6 museum.  I learned a lot of new information regarding the impact apartheid had on its residents. The people living in District 6  (an area mostly inhabited by Coloured persons) were displaced and put into different townships. Our tour guide stressed that apartheid divided communities and their culture.  People of color had to deal with the concept that because of the color of their skin, laws and society changed for the worst.  During the exhibition I was reminded of the violent history of America regarding racism.  I was also reminded of the history of America regarding slavery when we went to the slave lodge on Wednesday (1/18).  At the slave lodge I was taken aback about the fact that I was standing in the courtyard where slaves washed clothes and cooked food hundreds of years ago. We also went to the church where many salves were baptized. After leaving this exhibition it made me question who I was and what is my identity. This exhibition has encouraged me to look into the history of my ancestors and do further research as to where I come from.  Today we will be visiting Robben Island, and I am excited to learn more about the history of apartheid and the impact it has had on the South African culture.  I am having a hard time understanding the whole concept of race in South Africa, but as time goes by I am positive I will learn a lot of information that will be helpful.

I am eager to see what the next three months in a half have in store for me!
Erica eager to see what comes next!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so, so happy for you Erica!!! Enjoy your time there as much as you can, and I know that you will. Take in everything - don't be afraid to explore, experience, and enjoy:)
    Missing you back in the U.S. of A.
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica,

    Everyone here back home in Stamford is vicariously living through you, so please learn, grow, and share as much as possible.

    Enjoy & Cheers
    Kwasi
    Sizobonana!!!

    ReplyDelete