Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Meika's Intro

Hello All!  My name is Meika.  I am currently a Junior and a double major in History and Human Rights. 

I first heard about the “UConn Study Abroad in Cape Town” through the Honors program.  As I learned more, I realized that this was a unique opportunity.  I loved that there was an internship component, an activist project, and that it was made up of a small group of UConn students.  I didn’t know much about Cape Town or South Africa.  When I asked around, I actually found out I knew several people who had been abroad there.  Everyone told me the same things: it is an amazingly beautiful place, it changed their lives, and they wanted to go back more than anything.  I was convinced that this was the place and program for me.

It still has not sunk in that I am leaving for Cape Town on Thursday.  Even though I have thought a lot about it, I am still not entirely sure what to expect from this experience.  I know that I am looking forward to being in a place where everything is new to me.  I want to learn as much as I can, and I am especially interested in learning more about the history of South Africa.  I cannot wait to get there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment