Monday, January 16, 2012

Brandi's initial reactions beyond description

Brandi & Nicole arriving at their new "home"  

I cannot begin to describe my initial reactions and feelings to Cape Town. I have only been here 3 days and already I can see myself living down here like Greta and Ben. This is the most beautiful place I have ever been to, and I am not just talking about the scenery. The people are amazing and everyone on this trip is fantastic.

I have noticed so many cultural differences already. The food portions are smaller then they are in the US. Everything seems so much healthier, and everyone I have seen is skinnier! Also, everyone here talks quieter. I have to get used to speaking a lot softer because I realized how far my voice carries! Everyone here seems so friendly. Even just being at Swingers tonight, a local resident of Cape Town gave me list of places to visit before I left. It seems like such a kind gesture that he took time out of his night to speak with me about our trip. I feel like no one in America would give a traveler like me the time of day. Also, I noticed the differences in traffic laws here then in the US. Here, people can ride in the back of pick-up trucks traveling fast down the highway, where as in the US that would never be allowed! I love the pace of life and connections everyone seems to have with everyone here.
Brandi poolside
I feel so blessed to be living in a house as nice as ours. From the pool to the kitchen, it is fantastic. The sights we have seen are phenomenal as well. I know Marita said that every place we see will be the most beautiful place in earth, and I think this is 100% true. Every place I see only gets better and better. I have to say that Boulder Beach with the penguins truly was an incredible experience. Being able to sit along side of a wild penguin was something I never could have dreamed of doing. But there I was yesterday just hanging out with penguins like they had not a care in the world.
Brandi at Maidens Cove
Another thing I am learning is about consensus decisions making. I am used to the democratic “majority rules” ideology, but consensus decision making makes so much sense. I really enjoy working with the entire group and really strengthening our bonds before we start our internships and really get out on our own.

So far, this past experience of just 3 days in Cape Town has been incredible. Yes I have battled thousands of ants crawling through our room; digestive problems and small little lizards on the ceiling-and let me tell you these are not any problems at all. From the sights to the people this place is amazing and I cannot wait to see what the next three and a half months have in store. 
Kelsey, Brandi, Nicole, & Rebecca jumping for joy!
-----------------------------------------------------
Brandi is also keeping her own personal blog  in which she is recording her thoughts and feelings regarding each day.  Click here to access it

1 comment:

  1. Very Cool Pictures Brandi!!! We are so proud of you and can't wait to hear more of your pilgrimage. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete