Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Maria's Introducion

My name is Maria Bartolotta, and I am a junior majoring in English and minoring in Spanish.

I am writing this a little less than 24 hours before take off, and I still can't believe I'm really going. Even though it still seems so unreal, I am so incredibly excited to spend a semester in Cape Town. I went into college pretty sure that I didn't want to study abroad at all, but had a total change of heart once I learned more about this specific program from friends who had done it before. Once I realized that I definitely wanted to spend a semester abroad, I looked at other programs that might have more to do with my Spanish minor, or programs that were offered in the fall instead (which works better with my swim schedule), but I wasn't as excited or invested in the idea of studying abroad when I thought of doing any other program. UConn in Cape Town is what got me excited about studying abroad in the first place, and I soon knew that if I was going to study abroad at all, it would be in South Africa. I feel like this program has exactly what I was looking for in a semester away from my home at UConn and I am just as excited to learn and grow as I am to teach and give.

I really don't know what to expect yet, but I'm ready to dive in head-first and step way out of my comfort zone, or at least brace myself for this! I'm going to miss my family, friends, swim team, school, and the basketball games so much that I'm almost nervous, but I know that pure excitement is going to kick in and outweigh everything else. My friends from last year's trip and the year before have been such a big help to me... from telling me that the program is out there, to emotional support, to how to fit everything in my suitcase... I have been very lucky to have them in this process so far. Getting to know the people on our trip is also something that I'm looking forward to. Tomorrow!! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment