Sunday, January 15, 2012

Amariliz on her first moments in Cape Town

Dan, Amariliz, Kimmi

There really are no pictures or words that can begin to describe or capture the beauty and true serenity that is South Africa.  Coming off the plane it hadn’t really hit me yet as I looked around at the airport, saw Vernon and Marita and simply let the moments stick. Finally on the drive to the house, my home for the next three months, I started to realize that this was real and not a daydream of wishful girl who longs to leave UConn and experience something greater. Kelsey pointed out the window and I saw the townships.  As we continued to look the driver pointed out that the townships were built as new residential area for those who were moved here during apartheid. He also mentioned that sometimes these new houses were sold by the owner when people were desperate for money. From only being in Cape Town for this 30-minute drive home I could see a clear distinction among the classes.

Saturday morning group gathered for official welcome and briefing by Vernon Rose:
Meika, Amariliz, Nellie, Theresa, Vernon, RA Greta
Cape Town was not what I expected, though I did try to tell myself that I should expect nothing and simply enjoy my time. This advice I have taken after waking up to the sun shining through my bedroom window and had our briefing across from Table Mountain. I did not expect the community and the comfort that I would be living in: running water, indoor plumbing, internet, electricity, and most of the luxuries of home. This had for me at least little to do with the stereotype of Africa but more to my experience in Ecuador even in our capital city Quito. I do know that these are luxuries, especially the internet. I know that these are not shared in all parts of Cape Town.

Samantha & Amariliz
The fifteen hour flight has sent me into some kind of time warp and I am still not quite sure what to make of these past three days. I can say that they have been so absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment