Monday, April 9, 2012

Sam's Easter: celebrating here and there

Yesterday was Easter and if I were at home then I would’ve spent the day in Connecticut visiting my mom’s side of the family. I would be making lots of food and catching up with everyone there. Most of them I don’t see very often during the year. I missed being there but then I remember how lucky I am to be here and how much I love Cape Town.  Everyone at 10 Loch Rd decided to have a big family dinner. We all pitched in to create a big meal. We decided on breakfast for dinner so we had French toast, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and watermelon. Then for dessert Nicole made chocolate chip cookies that had an oreo in the middle and Kristin made brownies. Everything was incredibly delicious and it was so nice to eat with everyone. 

We spread out in the common room and ate together. Then we went around the circle and talked about what we were thankful for. I was so happy being there and I am so excited that I get to spend this time with so many amazing people. I am thankful for getting this opportunity and for the chance to get to know everyone who came with me from UConn and for everyone I have met since being here. I never thought I would find myself in Cape Town getting to work with so many amazing people and getting to know equally amazing children who all help to remind me what is really important in life. I think so many people forget about what actually matters and get caught up in the everyday drama that doesn’t matter at all. These people have almost nothing and yet they still give everything away to help whoever they can. It always amazes me and I have learned so much since being here.

Our dinner last night was one of my favorite nights because we rarely have everyone all together like that. Everyone contributed to the meal and it ended up being a huge success. I also was able to Skype with my family. My uncle brought his ipad to my grandma’s house so I was able to go around and see everyone there. Talking to my grandma and actually getting to see her was amazing because I haven’t had the chance to talk to her since being here. I know it made her really happy too because she kept screaming about how awesome it was that you can actually see each other and hear them. I loved seeing my aunts, uncles and cousins and then I also was able to talk to my mom, dad and brother for a little while too. Even though it wasn’t a very long conversation I loved every second of it. I am so excited to go home and be able to see them all in person but I am definitely going to miss Cape Town more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment