Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rina's Vacation in Paradise


Vacation from Paradise

We're back from an adrenaline-packed adventure in Plettenburg Bay, one of the stops along the Garden Route.  The views of lusciously green, mountainous landscapes, and beautifully blue oceans were quite stunning.  We booked our own private transport and stayed for three nights at a backpackers, which is basically a hostile.  The place had multiple bedrooms with bunk beds, and a fully equipped communal kitchen.  From the balcony you could see the view of the ocean, and the backyard with all its hammocks and swings, and a fire pit.  I never thought I would need a vacation from Cape Town, but this place was my ideal paradise.  As much as I love the city, it was nice to get away for a weekend, and enjoy a different sort of lifestyle.  Venturing out through the forest and into Silver River was just as exciting as it was peaceful.  One moment, we were walking along the large river rocks, and the next, we were floating on our backs through the mountains.  Our kloofing guide, Steven, told us when and where it was safe to climb up and jump into the river.  We went off jumps ranging from 5 to 11 meters.  We had to push ourselves and each other to jump off a cliff-edge into the water, and continue on our way down the river.  The whole experience was extremely exhilarating, and truly a team-building exercise for the twelve of us that went.  

The next day, we woke up early to go bungee jumping off Bloukrans Bridge, which won the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest commercial bungee bridge in the world!  I was so proud that everyone was able to conquer their fears, and followed through with the jump.  A couple of us adrenaline-junkies actually jumped a second time, backwards!  What scared me more than bungee jumping backwards and cliff jumping was what happened saturday evening.. 

Amariliz and I decided that it would be fun to go swimming at the beach when it had started to rain.  The waves were huge, and you could tell a storm was brewing..  but that didn't stop us from swimming.  We were alone on the beach besides a few courageous (and probably experienced) surfers, and three fishermen that stood on the rocks alongside the beach.  I had never felt so scared for my life until that moment that I couldn't reach the bottom of the ocean anymore, and I realized I had swam out too far.  I tried to swim back to the shore, but I found myself struggling to stay above the water, with the waves crashing over my head, and pulling me backwards.  I called out to Amariliz for help, and she directed me to swim diagonally, parallel to the shore.  I tried as much as I could, but I was already exhausted, and beginning to panic, and lose hope.  Despite all the EMT training she'd been given, Amariliz came in to help me, but only to get herself caught in the riptide as well.  That's when we started to scream for help, and the fishermen were waving there arms trying to get some attention from the surfer, but with no such luck.  I was really struggling to stay above water and avoid swallowing more seawater, when Amariliz realized the fishermen were waving us to come toward the rocks, which were closer than the shore... We changed directions and swam for the rocks.  Finally I could feel dirt under my feet and I grabbed hold of the nearest rock.  I looked for a bigger rock and just when I hugged it, a huge wave came crashing down, I warned Amariliz to brace herself and we both got washed up against the rocks, cut and bruised, but alive.  I have a newfound appreciation for rocks.  I have never been so scared of the ocean, or considered how dangerous it could really be, even though it may seem like common sense.  I think drowning would be the worst way to die.  You're seriously fighting for your life until there comes a point where you just can't anymore, and you have no choice but to give up.  We didn't give up; it wasn't our time.  I hate that I put my best friend's life at risk but I feel blessed that we both made it out.  I am so grateful, and I thank GOD that we are still here, with some minor grazes.  Amariliz, I love you, you are my lifesaver, you are my rock.   

No comments:

Post a Comment