Monday, April 23, 2012

Alex: YOLO


For the past three and a half months, the common phrase that we have constantly remind each other about is YOLO- you only live once. What started as more of a joking statement when splurging and eating multiple desserts, or going out when exhausted, has turned into much more. Though incredibly cliché, the phrase constantly reminds me to say yes to every opportunity, live each moment to the absolute fullest, and have zero regrets while here. So far, I think I’ve done okay with that.

Last week the majority of us went to Plettenberg Bay for a few days over the weekend. It was here that “yolo” really took on a completely new meaning for me. Friday morning several of us went kloofing, which was my first time ever cliff jumping. And to be perfectly honest, it was rather scary… and at times painful. From the water the rocks didn’t look all that high, but let me just say that 7.5 meters suddenly turns into 100m when you’re about to jump. Regardless, the experience and scenery were definitely worth it.

However, it was Saturday where all 17 of us really lived up to the phrase, as we prepared ourselves and bungee jumped off a 207ft bridge overtop of a river. Thinking about it the entire weekend was enough to shake me up, but seeing the bridge brought on a whole new emotion. I knew I wanted to do it and was going to, even if I was really nervous, because it’s definitely something I would’ve regretted missing out on. As I walked to the bridge and watched the first few people jump off, my nerves just got worse. Luckily, the loud music and atmosphere calmed me down a lot (and the fact that I didn’t jump for a while). Standing on the edge of the bridge, looking out into a beautiful river valley is when it really hit home. You really only live once, so there’s no time to be scared; it’s just about the moment and making the most of it. So that’s exactly what happened. The countdown commenced and I jumped off, free falling for a few seconds, and then experiencing the most amazing feeling in the world. As strange as it may seem, it was so serene and peaceful. I felt completely free, and it felt like I was there forever. A truly unbelievable thing.

The phrase works well to remind you to do adventurous things, but it’s the smaller experiences that mean the most. Whether going to Khayelitsha and having snacks with the Firefighters at the book club, or bowling with my little sister Zintle, it’s sharing those moments and making the most of every second that really reminds me that I have to live in the minute. I think this trip has really been important in reminding me not to overlook the small stuff and not to pass up the big, and possibly scary stuff either. But to accept everything as it is presented and to never leave space for the “what ifs.” You really only live once, and this is South Africa after all, so you might as well make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment