Sunday, April 29, 2012

Becky's last day in Cape Town


Table mountain as the clouds begin to clear
How does one even begin to approach planning for their last full day in Cape Town? It has been a pretty emotional weekend and today was the hardest by far. I felt like I had to do something great to finish off my stay here in this amazing city. I had not yet been on top of table mountain (which is a shock I know), and I knew that would be my only regret if I left without seeing the city from the top of it. Weather hasn’t been a friend to us this weekend so when I woke up to find the mountain covered in clouds, it made me so sad to think that I had missed my chance so many times during the previous months. The mountain has been my rock, pun intended, and I can’t believe that I can’t look out my window everyday and see it. Table Mountain is almost like a big brother, always looking out for you wherever you go in Cape Town. You know you are in the Mother City when you see it and it has just become a comfort to see. I was really disappointed that I wouldn’t be able to climb it today, but after a few hours the mountain started to clear up more and more until the clouds were gone. I like to think the mountain knew I was leaving and had to get the clouds off of it so I could say goodbye to Cape Town properly. Since I was limited on time I took the cable car up to the top. I felt a mix of emotions at the top of the mountain; looking at the city I have called my home for three and a half months. Not only did I realize how well I now know the city, but I also couldn’t help but smile at all the memories from every place I looked. There was nowhere in the city I could look and think I hadn’t done something memorable there.
           
It is going to be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do to say goodbye to this wonderful place tomorrow. It is surreal knowing I will be back in the America in less than 48 hours so I don’t think leaving has hit me yet. I know when I can no longer see the mountain all of it will be gone and I can’t prepare for that moment right now. Looking at the city today from Table Mountain was a way for me to end this trip seeing the place I have come to treasure in my heart, from the top of the most special place in Cape Town. I will always have a place in my heart for Cape Town that will ache when I am away from this magnificent city. I’ll miss you Cape Town, thanks for the adventures.
Panoramic view from Table Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment