Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Erica: Cape Town has opened doors

Erica & Brittany on their way to chuch
Every weekend I have spent in Cape Town has been nothing but amazing and wonderful.  As a Seventh-day Adventist, every Sabbath I go to church with Brittany. We have been able to attend various churches within Cape Town, which include Athlone SDA (Cape Flats), SDASM(at the University of Cape Town), and Langa (township). This upcoming Sabbath we will be attending Riverside SDA in Athlone. Attending Athlone SDA and SDASM has given me the opportunity of meeting amazing and life-changing people.  I have met people who are passionate in what there are studying. I have also met people who make me feel comfortable and always put a smile on my face.  Most important I have met people who believe the same beliefs I do, and it makes a big difference. It is very encouraging as well.  So I can say that I have formed church family here.

Yesterday in Maritia’s class we started our discussion with everyone sharing what would be their biggest challenge going back home. My response was “I don’t want to go home yet” and there are so many reasons. I have fallen in love with this program and it has set out to complete all its goals. As I sit and think to myself I haven’t made a difference here, but Cape Town has made a difference in me.  Cape Town is preparing me for the challenges that I will face when I return to the states. Cape Town is also preparing me to engage in programs where I can provide any form of aid. Being here in Cape Town and at my internship has given me the chance to reflect and do research in the field that I would like to go into for my masters and hopefully my Doctorate degree. Cape Town has opened so many doors for me mentally. I am no longer stuck to one plan, but multiple ones.

Yes it is true I do not want to come back home yet, but I have a loving family who is waiting to embrace me with love, kisses, and hugs. I have a best friend to go back home to, who will be running a 13.1 marathon for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis (I’m going to be there to support her). I have an undergraduate diploma to receive. I’m graduating in about a month!! I also have a church back home to go to. I miss my church family, and I am so thankful for all their support and prayers. 

Yes I will miss Cape Town there is no doubt in my mind. I am indebted to this beautiful place that has changed my outlook on life. This place has given me the opportunity to be hopeful and to dream. After this trip I am looking forward to a positive future with challenges of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment