Monday, April 9, 2012

Alex on the challenges of leaving

It’s so hard for me to grasp that I only have three weeks left here in this amazing city. Since we arrived, I had decided that there was no way I was leaving after only three and a half months. Recently I’ve been doing a lot of research about staying- looking up more internships, getting in contact with some external sources, etc. It was really looking like I was going to stay, but unfortunately I’m going home. After looking at things from a more realistic view, it makes much more sense for me to go home and work this summer and save up money. I also was going to have to make an immediate decision so I could extend my visa and change my flight, and let’s just say I am not capable of making quick decisions like that. As hard as it is for me to come to the realization that I really will be leaving here shortly, I’m also excited to go home and see my family.

Alex & Bongi (one of the coaches for the Firefighters FC)
I’ve had so many amazing experiences here, and I have been lucky enough to meet so many great people. Through my activist project and my internship I’ve gotten to know so many amazing kids of all ages. They are so inspirational and sweet, and having to say goodbye to them is going to be one of the most challenging things I have to do. I knew I was close to them, but I didn’t realize just how close until recently. I went to the Firefighters soccer tournament last weekend, and sat with a couple of the players for so long just talking. It was then that I knew that there is no longer that awkwardness between us, but that we had truly gotten to know each other. Thinking about this made me so sad knowing that I’m going to have to leave them. Not being able to stay here and watch their progress is one thing I’m really going to have to learn to deal with. I’m so glad that I’ve gotten close to the players and my little sister Zintle, and hopefully we’ll be able to keep in touch once I’m back in the states.

Having to leave people that you meet is never an easy thing. Understanding that things could happen when you’re gone and not knowing if your presence could have prevented it is even harder. I think knowing that this is definitely not my last visit to Cape Town makes the whole leaving situation a little easier, but it still hurts knowing that I’m going to have to part when I feel like I’m really connecting with them all. As these last few weeks are winding down I’m definitely going to make every moment with them count.  

No comments:

Post a Comment