Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rebecca on the final days in Cape Town


So the time is coming when I will be leaving Cape Town.  Maybe it will only be for a few years or maybe it will be forever.  Who knows?  I hope it won’t be forever, but I’m honestly not sure.  I’m going to miss so many things about this trip and being here.  I can’t imagine waking up and not having sixteen people to talk to, or being up late at night and having the same thing.  The friendships I’ve made here mean so much to me. 

This week was actually really sad.  We had our last week of tutoring with the Firefighters (the soccer team in Khayelitshia) and our last week with our little sisters.  I hope we can all keep in touch.  I guess I’m having trouble writing this because this was a weird week.  It is all starting to get really sad and it’s too hard for me to put down my feelings about saying goodbye.

I had a great weekend though! I went shopping and out to eat a few times.  For anyone who knows me, they know that whenever I’m at UCONN, I can be a pretty stressed and busy person.  Being in Cape Town has given me the opportunity to have fun again, and realize that the world won’t end if I don’t spend all of my time doing something that’s scholarly productive.  Don’t get me wrong I still have fun at UCONN, but I am much more carefree when I am here.  Not only is this city conducive to me having fun, the group of people I’m with make me have fun.   They are all so different and I know that this trip would have been very different without each one of them.

Right now I’m lying on my bed loading over 800 pictures onto my computer.  I think the sheer number of pictures I have on my lap top shows how many amazing memories I will have when I leave this trip.  I have one more week and even though I can’t wait to be home, I’m looking forward to my last week in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment