Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sam knows she'll be back one day


Wow. I actually have to leave Cape Town tomorrow. I was kind of hoping this day just wouldn’t actually come. But looking back at everything we have done and learned over the past three and a half months makes me happy and grateful that I had this opportunity. I have met some really awesome people including all the people I came here with and all those I have met since being here.  I can’t even begin to say how amazing everything has been. This program does an amazing job of making you feel connected to the community here and it makes leaving that much harder. The people here are also so friendly. Just today a group of us went to Mzoli’s, which is a big restaurant in Guguletu where people go with friends and all they serve is meat. It was so delicious and we went with a cab driver who we have become friends with, some of the teachers from Christel House, and some of our friends from the afterschool program in Nyanga. It was so fun to hang out and talk and dance and just have a really good time. And as if that weren’t enough, Brandi, Nicole, Kimmi, and I went with Joseph (from the afterschool program) and a few of his friends on a walk around New Crossroads, Old Crossroads, and Nyanga. They let us visit each one of their houses and were so welcoming. We got to really see a few townships and got to ask questions and experience how friendly people truly are. We even acted like little kids and played on a few playgrounds, kicked a soccer ball around with a group of local kids, drank traditional African beer that is used to give thanks to the ancestors, and even ate a smiley. If you are currently wondering what a smiley is, it’s a sheep head. Yes a sheep head. It is a popular dish and you clean the bones, eating everything, I tried the tongue, cheek and eye, none of it was as bad as it sounds and actually was pretty good. We walked through an informal settlement as well and the whole day was an absolutely perfect way to end this trip. I know I have said this for multiple days here, but I think today may have been the best day of my life. Saying goodbye to our friends there was really hard but I know I will see them again one day. Whenever I come back here, I am going there first. Everything in Cape Town is amazing and I know I will back here as soon as I can to both visit my kids at Christel House and all the people I have become friends with. I’m excited to see my family and friends and especially my dogs once I get home but I will definitely be missing life here. I am grateful to have all the people I came here with as well so we can all talk about how much we want to be back here once we are home. 
Sam with learners in her class


No comments:

Post a Comment