Saturday, April 21, 2012

Kimmi's Plettenberg Bay Weekend


Thursday April 12, 2012-Sunday April 15, 2012

Started off the weekend with a long bus ride to Plettenberg Bay. We arrived at the hostel at around 2am in the morning. This weekend I experienced a lot of firsts. The first one was the hostel. I have traveled a lot but I have never had the opportunity to stay in a hostel. I had a great experience and loved it. I shared a room with five other girls we slept in bunk beds, which reminded me of camp. We chit chatted into the late hours of the night.  It was like being able to have a sleepover with your best friends every night. This weekend was a great bonding experience and I have realized how close and comfortable I am around all the other UConn students on this trip.

On Friday twelve of us went kloofing. If you do not know what that is basically we were all geared up in wet suits, life jackets and sneakers. We hiked to get to the river, swam and stopped at cliffs to jump off of them. We jumped off a total of three cliffs. The highest one was 11.5m, which is a little bit over 30 feet high. That was the scariest one because you had to crawl up a hill in the woods and you had to dodge a rock on the way down. As soon as I got to the top some were waiting around but I knew that I couldn’t wait and I just had to go and do it. This was a good bonding experience because we were all encouraging each other and cheering each other on. Some got very afraid at the top and were afraid of heights so these cliffs were a big challenge. It was just so satisfying not only for those girls but also for me when they jumped off the cliff. I was so proud of them and excited that they conquered their fear. We were able to explore the Main Street and shop and look for a place to eat. We found a restaurant with a nice variety that seemed suitable for everyone. All us went out to dinner in celebration of Theresa’s birthday!

Saturday was another unforgettable day. We all started off with bungee jumping! It was 216m jump! The bridge is the highestbridge in South Africa and the highest commercial bungee jump in the world! We all walked over together and the whole time there was music pumping and we were all dancing and cheering others on. This was another great accomplishment for those who were afraid of heights. There was this one lady who you could tell was very afraid but we cheered for her and encouraged her and she did it. She said that in the end our encouragement really helped her. I was nervous when I got to the edge and my toes were dangling off the side. It was an indescribable feeling when you go from pump up music to complete silence and peacefulness. There I felt the most relaxed and at peace. For those quick 30 seconds or so it was just me free falling in the sky. It’s scary thinking that I only had a rope attached to my feet but when you jump it is the most peaceful and beautiful thing. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Later on that day we went over to an elephant sanctuary where we all were able to pet the elephants and feed them. They were all so gentle and nice and their skin was so rough. It was awesome being able to get that close and touch them. These elephants were orphans and there is no beating or physical violence done to the elephants when they train them. To finish off a perfect day we all watched a movie, Mean Girls together and sat around the campfire and talked. It was nice because everyone was so relaxed and comfortable there. I really enjoyed this weekend with all of the adventurous events and bonding. I missed the people who had to stay back in Cape Town and wish everyone could have come. I wish we would have had the chance to experience this earlier but in a way it was a nice way to spend one of our last weekends in South Africa.


No comments:

Post a Comment