Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Rina's nightmare


So I had a dream that it was time to go home, and thinking about it makes me really upset, and scared. 

I didn't think it would be scary to go home, but it is definitely going to be a culture-shock.  I dreamt that I was back at school, and they had built a functional wall of lockers  around our campus, which I hated.  But here, there are walls around everything; most houses have cement walls around them, and all the schools have walls topped with barbed wire, even my apartment complex has this kind of security.  Living here for three months has made me realize that we could do away with many of the things we have at home that we think are necessities, for example, air conditioning, and a dryer for laundry.  Little things I will enjoy going back to however is having one faucet that mixes the hot and cold water, and not having to use a key to lock the door from the inside.  It's upsetting to think about going home to a place where I can't just take a minibus taxi to town, or a train to a beautiful beach and go surfing.  I'm scared that what I have learned here will not be as important to others as it is to me.  I'm scared that people won't understand or be willing to listen to what I experienced.  My biggest fear is that I'll go home and assimilate back into the messed up society that we live in, when people don't consider what I wish to change as a priority in their lives as well.  I am excited to go home, and see my friends and family, but I need to come back.  

Not knowing when I will come back to Cape Town gives me nightmares.  Cape Town, don't leave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment