Sunday, April 22, 2012

Becky on becoming a new person

When I compare the person I used to be before the trip, and the one I have become since coming here to Cape Town I can’t help but smile. I think the thing I am most proud of is my realization that I need to live my life. It seems silly to say I discovered that here in Cape Town because obviously I knew I should be doing this before I came here, but it became essential here. There have been so many experiences that were first times for me here and I can’t believe I did them but I can’t imagine not doing them. I felt like my comfort zone has disappeared here and I love that. Every fear that I have ever had in my life is completely irrational. I always avoided situations that would force me to confront these fears, but throughout my time here I have challenged why I was even afraid in the first place. It seems silly to think I lived my life and made my decisions based off of these fears. I challenged myself in Cape Town to do the things that I thought I would hate. In the end I find that those are the experiences that are the most rewarding. Forcing myself to leave my comfort zone opened up my eyes to a way of life that I never thought I would be able to live. Whether it was bungee jumping off the Boulkrans Bridge between the eastern and western capes, running a half marathon, or getting my nose pierced I have always found that I am not only proud but happy for doing them. I have had the time of my life in Cape Town and although I wish I could spend forever here because there are so many things that I still want to do I know that I will just have to continue living my life back in the States.
           
Something else I really want to reflect on is the relationships I have gained with the people on this trip. I have laughed, cried, screamed (out of fear haha), talked, sang, danced, run, hiked, and bonded with these twenty other individuals for the past three and a half months. I think that they are the ones who helped me learn so much here. This trip would have never been the same without any one of them and I can’t help but smile to know that I have gained some amazing relationships with these wonderful people. I have been challenged and tested by everyone to look at myself and change for the better. This trip was made up of amazing people, experiences, and lessons that I will never forget and I am thankful for having such an incredible opportunity to come to Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment