Saturday, April 21, 2012

Brandi: Oh what a life


Oh what a life

The past week has gone by ridiculously fast. I wish I could describe all the crazy things I have done since last Thursday, so I will do the best I can in this post. So I will start with last Thursday, April 12th. Wellllll I don’t know how to put this gently but three of my friends and I spent the day in a cage under water in the Indian Ocean diving with great white sharks. IT WAS INSANE. My friend Kristin’s parents were here from the states so her dad took Maria, Nicole, Kristin and I shark cage diving that day. We left early in the morning and drove to Gansbaii, which is a bay about two hours away. We got there around nine in the morning and got a nice breakfast by the organization we were diving with. At ten we were on the boat and heading out to open water! It was really cool to watch exactly what they do to bring the sharks up to the boat. They cut up nasty tuna into something called chum and let it be taken away by the current so the sharks taste it wherever they are. They then follow their senses to the place where the boat is.
           
There is a lot of controversy over whether this is bad for the sharks- bringing them into unnatural habitats and getting too used to humans. However, the place where we were was where sharks naturally come (I believe). Anyway, they chummed the water and would throw this flat black kick board into the water to make the sharks think it was a seal. Along with that they had a giant hunk of tuna on a rope that they would throw in the water to get the sharks attention. Anyway, when we first got there all the sharks were over at another boat about a hundred feet away. Our boat kept in contact with the other boat and when they left we swooped in and took their spot. Before we knew it we had huge sharks swimming around our boat! Some of them were as big as four to five meters- it was crazy.
           
The five of us (including Kristin’s dad) suited up in our ridiculously tight wet suits, goggles and waited to hop into the cage. When I first put my legs over the side of the boat to climb through the small bars to drop into the cage- I can admit I was very scared. I wasn’t scared of the sharks or the water, but I was more scared because I had no idea how to hold my head above water to breathe but look underwater to see the sharks. On top of that, there is a bar at the bottom of the cage underwater that you are supposed to put your feet on to stand on, but my feet kept slipping off of that and onto the outside of the cage where the sharks were! Once I got my bearings in the water (in the cold cold water) I was excited and ready to see some huge sharks.
           
While under the water, I got to see these great big sharks swim by. A guy from the crew stands above the water and shouts “down!” every time a shark is close enough to see. So we went down and up for about fifteen to twenty viewings of sharks during out first time in the cage. Nicole was on the end of the cage with me right next to her, and then Maria was next to me and Kristin was next to her. Right as we were about to leave, a huge shark came up and the hunk of tuna in its mouth and went straight into the side of the cage! Its jaws were opened and I swear Nicole and I jumped a mile. It was so cool but so scary! We got out after that and had a little time to rest on the boat. Then we all went back into the water two more times to have up close and personal encounters with these great whites. At one point during out third time in the cage, Nicole and I were standing next to each other and out of no where this giant shark’s face in actually in the cage right in front of Nicole! Its nose had stuck through the opening where our faces were! It was really really cool.
           
After our time was up with the sharks, we took the boat ride back to land where the little cottage was. The landscape surrounding where we went shark cage diving was incredible. There were mountains with this beautiful beach with pure white sand. It literally looked like a backdrop painted on a canvas put up for us to look at. It was amazing. Once we got back we rested for a few minutes, got changed and headed back on the two-hour drive back to Cape Town.
           
Now, I am leaving out a little bit from this story. I failed to mention how on that Thursday almost our whole group of students (about 17 out of the 21 of us) were getting on a bus and heading to Platenburg Bay. The bus was set to pick us all up at 4pm….however Maria, Kristin, Nicole and I didn’t get back until almost 5:30 so we held up the entire group from our 8 hour bus trip. That was completely our faults, and it caused some serious issues between different people in our group. Once people got it out of their system at how angry they were at us, we were on our way to Plettenberg. I had already packed the night before and literally threw my stuff on the bus and we were basically ready to go. So I spent the next nine hours (it took longer then expected) on a bus with all 17 of us.
           
We got to the hostel at about 2 am. It was a cute little place, with very nice rooms for us to sleep in. I slept in a six-person room and got a bottom bunk right below Maria. The beds were so comfortable and I slept like a baby that night. However our sleep wasn’t really a full night because we woke up 5 hours later to go kloofing! Now what is kloofing you might ask? It is jumping off of cliffs into a river below. IT. WAS. AWESOME. We got driven to a national park, and to the cottage where the kloofing was run out of. We had to put wet suits on and big life jackets and we were on our way. We got into a van that all of us fit into (twelve of us went on this adventure) and got dropped off at the starting point of our hike. We hiked through the woods for about half an hour, and then came to the mouth of this little river. Our guide told us it was super clean water and that we could drink it right from the stream. So I did! It was great and tasted so refreshing. Anyways, we all jumped in the water and started off down stream. Our guide had this waterproof bag that floated in the water with him with all of our cameras in it. It was really cool.

I had no idea what it was going to be like when we found a cliff and I was soon to find out. Our guide stopped out of nowhere and showed us two different cliffs we could just off of. We had to climb out of the water up the side of the cliff and jump off. There were two- one was 4 meters and the other was higher then that. I was kinda nervous at first but once I jumped I realized there was nothing I could do about it now. Landing in the water was kind of hard sometimes too. If you landed just the least bit sideways, you got slapped really really hard. I wish I could say that after a few jumps I managed to jump straight- but that’s not true. It hurt pretty badly sometimes but the sting wore off after a while. We kept swimming down the river and he showed us more cliffs to jump off of. The hardest part about jumping was the mentality to through myself off a cliff. It was terrifying to look over the edge and see how far down it was. But once I got the courage to jump it felt so good to realize I actually did it. The tallest cliff we jumped off of was 11 meters, which is about 35 feet. It was a ridiculous jump, and we had to clear a whole other cliff below it before we hit the water. I have to say that was the most scared I have ever been on this trip. But once I did it (and got over the feeling of being run over by a truck) I was very proud of myself!

After our time kloofing, the bus got us and took us back to our hostel. We relaxed for a bit then went exploring the cute little town. There were all kinds of stores and restaurants and you could see the ocean from the hill our hostel was on. It was the perfect area and I had so much fun eating, exploring, then eating some more. I got this awesome sushi from this little market that sold all this great food- salmon califonia roll- YUM. That night our whole group went out to dinner and had a great time just laughing and having fun.
           
The next morning we all woke up early again and got on the bus to drive to- wait for it- the highest commercial bungee bridge in the world!!!! We got there and I think everyone was nervous. I’m not gonna lie, I certainly was. And I think the line in the girl’s bathroom proves that fact too. Anyway, we got harnessed up and walked with our guide across the thin wire bridge that led us over the ravine 719 feet below. Looking down, as we were walking- I became increasingly more excited and nervous. I felt like I couldn’t show that I was nervous because there were so many more people around me more nervous then I was, but that didn’t stop me from feeling it. Once we got up there, everything was a blur. The DJ started playing music and suddenly- people started to get strapped up. Kelsey was first and I give her so much credit for actually doing it. I would have been terrified to go first! As I watched more and more people throw themselves off of the bridge, I become increasingly more nervous, but even more excited. I just wanted to do it! Finally, it was my turn. Since a lot of other people had gone, the workers were trying to get other members of our group to walk back and not watch us. But Dan insisted that they stay and cheer us on- and I was so grateful. As I walked up to the edge I cant even remember what I was thinking. I think I just was trying to get enough will power to convince myself that I would be safe, that my feet wouldn’t slide through the squishy plastic thing held on my ankle, and that I would come out of this alive. Before I knew it I was hearing “ 5 4 3 2 1- BUNGEE!” and there I went with my arms open wide. I was free falling off of the bridge into the trees and ground below! Then suddenly I was pulled back up by the chord and free falling all over again. It was the coolest sensation to keep my eyes open and just watch as I fell over and over again. I felt oddly free. Finally as the chord (which was kind of like a giant elastic) stopped swinging me I just hung there waiting for someone to get me. I was so excited that I survived and even more excited that I had actually accomplished it! A guy came down and hooked me to the line and brought me back up to the top. Once I was back up there I felt like I could do anything! I cheered on the rest of my friends still to jump, and then we headed back to land. We went to the store where they had our pictures and videos and made our purchases. Then we were off to our next adventure!
           
Our next adventure was hanging out with elephants as an elephant sanctuary. We got to feed them, play with them, pet them and even kiss them! it was really cool to see the huge animals up close and personal.
           
Our drive home Sunday was nice- I can’t say uneventful because everything is an event when we all travel together. But we got home safe and sound and even went and saw the Hunger Games together.
           
This past week has been a mix of emotions, from sadness to joy to a feeling of anxiety. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent at Christel House at my second to last week with them. I think that is going to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest, parts about leaving Cape Town. I have been talking my kids through the fact that I do have to leave, and I still get choked up about it. Wednesday night I went to Khayelitsha with some of my friends to help with the last night of the tutoring program with the Firefighters soccer team. Since I have only been able to go one other time this semester, I wanted to go for a final time to say goodbye. I don’t think it has hit me yet that I probably won’t see any of these kids again…
           
Thursday was another eventful day. As we all know, we always go to class at UCT on Thursdays. We got to class on time and settled in for our review for our exam next week. Then as things would work out, Nicole ended up needing to go to the emergency room and I took the trip with her! Nobody worry, she is perfectly fine- just an allergic reaction that needed to be taken care of as soon as possible.
           
Anyway, I got to play nurse that day which I seriously loved- it gave me time alone at the house while Nicole was in a deep sleep from all the medication she was on! Then that afternoon we took a trip to the bowling alley in Cavendish to meet our little sisters for one last time. That was really hard for me too. I don’t want the girls to think that people will come into their lives and leave them again like we are leaving them. I just hope they know how much we all love them. I promised to keep in contact with my little sister as well.
           
Friday was another tough day of saying goodbye. We went to Ocean View for our final time with the tutoring program. The kids had made up dances and one of the older girls read a version of the poem I had posted earlier on my blog. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (Marianna Williamson) She read it with such courage and conviction. I was so proud of her, in fact I was so proud of all the kids we worked with at Ocean View. The kids even handed out certificates to us tutors and we got to give them certificates for their hard work too. It was so so hard to say goodbye to the girl I had worked with since starting the tutoring program. She was such a hard worker and even through her tough circumstances was always smiling. The director of the program (and the girl who read the poem) told us how their marks in their math classes had improved and we had helped them a lot. I am so grateful to have been a part of that and so grateful for Chantel and Kelsey for starting the program.
           
So where does that leave me now? Well it leaves me sitting at our dining room table in the big house, eating packaged soup, thinking about life, leaving, and how hard it has always been to say goodbye. But I learned something from camp this past summer that I can take with me and apply it to saying goodbye to my kids here. Instead of saying goodbye and ‘see ya never’ we can always say “see ya down the road”. And I think that’s what I need to do. Even if this is goodbye for forever or for a very long time, I’ll see ya down the road.

"You and I will meet again, 
When we're least expecting it, 
One day in some far off place, 
I will recognize your face,
I won't say goodbye my friend,
For you and I will meet again." 
– Tom Petty       

No comments:

Post a Comment