Monday, April 9, 2012

Brittany: Taking Advantage of What We Have Left

Rebecca, Brandi, Erica, Brittany, Nellie 


With only three weeks left, I’m holding true to the words of my last blog. I’m seeking to take advantage of every opportunity in Cape Town. Whether it’s a tourist activity like climbing Table Mountain or whether it is simply spending time with the people I’m grown to love.  This weekend I had the opportunity to do both of these things. I visited Table Mountain and spent time with friends.

I was looking forward to Easter weekend simply for the opportunity to relax but I got much more. Saturday was rainy and honestly all I wanted to do was to stay inside. Thankfully a friend was able to come pick us up for church. The rain was literally coming down like buckets but the church service was still warm and comforting. After church, we invited our friends to come over and watch a movie later that evening. When we got home, I attempted to make cookies. However, I didn’t have enough flour so I attempted to make cupcakes. Unfortunately, I turned the oven up to broil and burned the tops of my cupcakes. My housemates all laughed at my mistake but helped me scrape the burned tops off. At that moment I knew I was going to miss living with this group of people. In the end, my desert looked like a mix between cupcakes, piecrust and cookies but it tasted delicious. Later, when my friends came over, they cleverly named my creation “Cape Towns”. I’m going to miss it here!
           
Sunday was a quiet day spent mostly doing homework. However, my housemates and I were able to bond over a holiday meal. Theresa came up with the great idea to have breakfast for dinner. Everyone contributed what little they had and the cooks compiled everything together. Our breakfast dinner consisted of French toast, scrabbled eggs, cookies, fried potatoes, watermelon, juice and brownies. Over dinner we talked, laughed and stated what we are thankful for. Through all the struggles of living together, I think everyone is most thankful for the opportunity to know each other. Although not the end, the breakfast dinner alone showed us how close we are as a family.
           
To end off my weekend, I visited Table Mountain. Today was the perfect opportunity to explore. I was so excited for a chance to see this infamous site. Although the top of the mountain was cold, the view was amazing. The mountain is so magnificent and awe inspiring. When you are on top of Table Mountain, you feel like you are on top of the world. We were so high up that we were literally in the clouds. I could look down and see the top of clouds. Overall, Table Mountain did not disappoint, it was Awesome! I can’t wait to bring my family and friends back to see it.
           
I get depressed at the thought of leaving Cape Town. But instead of being sad, I want to spend more time taking advantage of the time I have left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment