Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kimmi on her final day


For two days now we have been trying to go to one of the black townships called Nyanga. We have waited for buses to come time and time again but nothing. Every time the bus never came and we weren’t able to go I felt relieved. I wanted to go visit and walk around a black township before I left with the informal settings because I knew it would be different then the coloured township we stayed in at the homestay, Ocean View. I was so comfortable in Ocean View and love it there but something about Nyanga really scared me. Maybe it was because I didn’t know the guys who were giving us a tour or all of the crime that occurred in townships. I’m not really sure but it was making me very anxious even thinking about walking around. I knew that if I did this it would be conquering one of my biggest fears.
           
When we waited for the bus for an hour today and it never came again that’s when I thought okay guess we aren’t going anymore. We headed back home and went to Mzoli’s, which is a restaurant/butchery type place in a black township called Guguletu. We got there at 10 in the morning in order to get a table since Sundays are known to be one of the busiest days of the week. We got a big table and ordered lamb, T-bone steaks, sausage and bread. The guys that were supposed to take us around Nyanga came and we got to meet them and talk. The food was amazing but also the atmosphere and sense of community I felt while being there. There were multiple tables set up in the back that was very opened and people were socializing and dancing. I met up with my teacher, Loren and I was able to spend time with her and talk to her for a bit before I go home tomorrow! Brandi and I were dancing in the middle of the circle and cheered on and clapped by people that we just met. I loved it there.
           
We ended up going to Nyanga right after Mzoli’s. I think this was better and I was a lot more comfortable because I met the guys and talked to them for a bit before we met. We walked from Mzoli’s to Nyanga. At Nyanga we walked through informal settings, passed schools and got to know the guys. When I was walking through Nyanga I felt extremely safe and forgot about my fear of getting robbed or something bad happening. We went to each of their houses and every family was so opened and welcoming. Here that is one of the biggest lessons that I’ve learned that it doesn’t matter how much you have people keep on giving. These people in the townships have nothing but they are still willing to welcome us into their homes to see it and are so friendly. That’s one thing I love here that everyone does!
           
In Nyanga we were able to play soccer and Australian football with the kids. We played on the playground with some of the local kids as well. On the way we drank some traditional African Beer and ate smiley. The African Beer was held in a tin can and then we all passed it around. While drinking it you have to bend down so that you are lower than it to raise it to the ancestors. Smiley is another tradition that they sell on the streets. Smiley is a sheep’s head that people eat. So we got half of one and I ate the jaw and eye. It wasn’t very good and I felt like we were on fear factor. It all added to the experience. We were walking around and got to know these guys and the whole time I felt so safe.

We got back for our last dinner where we all chipped in to make some breakfast food for dinner. We all reflected about what we got out of this trip. This day was the perfect ending to a great trip! I’m really going to miss everyone and this country. I’m glad that it ended on a good note and I know for sure that one day I have to come back. I am taking so much from this trip and am so happy that I did this today and conquered my fear. I have come to see that townships really are not as scary as I thought they were. I thought today I was going to be very uncomfortable and out of place. I ended up noticing that everyone was looking at us a bit strange seeing a white person in a black township. But instead of attacking us or being mean about it they ended us welcoming us in with open arms and kind words. I have realized that there is nothing to be afraid of. Today the guy I was talking to Mzu told me not to worry about it robbing or thieves until it happened. He told me to take every moment and basically live in the present. That I mustn’t worry about things that could happen. If they do happen then deal with them at that moment but don’t worry about things that could happen. I like this and am going to try my best to think like this for everything in my life. I have conquered some of my fears while here and have learned a lot about South Africa and the U.S.  Each and everyone that I have met while here who were from South Africa and U.S has influenced me and helped me grow as a person. I am so fortunate and lucky to have such a great experience here. There have been ups and downs but I’m so happy that I have had the opportunity. Now I will be saving up to come back because there is no way I am leaving everyone here and seeing everything and not coming back! Cape Town definitely changes you and helps you grow in a way that I can’t describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment