Saturday, February 4, 2012

Rina: looking for the unseen


Rina & Kristin

Something we've been discussing in Marita's class about a reading assignment titled "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack," by Peggy McIntosh.  The article compares sexism and the ways in which men benefit from being the dominant group, to racism and how white people also benefit.  What was interesting is that many men are unwilling to admit that they are in fact privileged, and in doing so, they are protecting their privilege from being lessened.  Similarly, whites are taught not to notice their privilege, perhaps in order to keep these unseen benefits.  Some of the benefits McIntosh listed were as follows:

  • I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me (because I am white)
  • When I am told about our national heritage or about  "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is
  • I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race. 
  • I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race. 
  • I can choose blemish cover or bandages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin.
  • I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to "the person in charge," I will be facing a person of my race.


Many white people never stop to think about things like this, and many deny these privileges just to avoid being seen as racist.  Peggy McIntosh advocates that whites must give up these benefits in order to create equality, as well as men giving up some of their privileges so women can also have equal rights.

When we discussed these issues as a group, many people admitted that they were also blind to see these benefits, and for the first time, they were feeling what it was like to be the minority, here in Cape Town.  For many students, it was the first time they were consciously aware of their skin color.  This was amazing to me, because I recognize that I am "brown," and how it affects almost every aspect of my life.    

The article frustrated me very much because I am Indian, and not a part of the dominant group.  I felt cheated, even though I am just as much an American as every other person in our group.  Talking about it, and my frustration with Amariliz, who is Ecuadorian, and also non-white, we realized we are at an advantage because of our disadvantages.  The fact that we are both in minority groups, we are able to appreciate the few opportunities provided exclusively for minorities, for example scholarships.  Our disadvantages teach us lessons, that many non-whites may not have learned; compare a white child's upbringing to a non-white child's upbringing. 

At our community meeting later in the week, Ben, our resident assistant, reinforced the ideas of unseen privilege in regards to being a study abroad student.  We realize that we're very fortunate to be able to come here, study at UCT, and intern among various NGOs, but what are some of the benefits that we cannot see? This is something I will be keeping in the back of my mind, and looking for, as I experience these next three months here in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment