Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Becky finding her path to becoming the best she can be

Lately I have been reflecting on my imperfections. I had all of these ideas about changing for the better, or becoming an adult while I am here in Cape Town. Almost like every flaw that I had would magically be cured by studying abroad. It has become a lot more than that though. 

We took personality indicators in our pre-departure course with Marita, and received our results while we were still in the United States. I read over my Meyers Briggs Personality Type (an ESFP for anyone who is curious) and saw a lot of connections with my personality, but I didn’t see it as life-altering information. Since I arrived in Cape Town, I cannot help noticing how relevant my personality indicator is in my everyday life. My personality strengths are always more prominent, but whenever one of the weaknesses turns up I can’t help but focus on it. These are all the flaws that I wanted to fix about myself while I am here. I don’t know if it is Cape Town, or maybe I have already learned so much about myself in the little time that I have been here, but I have stopped trying to fix what I thought were faults. Living in the United States, you always need to make things happen for yourself and not sit around waiting for things to change, but maybe that’s just that. Trying to force yourself to change will never have a truly lasting impact. I think all I can do to become the best person I can be is to let myself experience all Cape Town has to offer me, whether it be the beautiful sites or the never-ending townships. Knowing who I am is a gift that I think Marita knew would help us grow in a way we cannot fully explain, but will surely notice when we return back to the states.
Mackenzi, Rina, Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment