Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Michael loving where you are, while recognizing advantages of where you've been

When I first spent a summer at 6,500 feet and it snowed all through June I knew I would never take for granted, a summer that didn't require a jacket and allowed me to go swimming, again. I also knew that while I missed the sun, the beach, sandals and not shivering, that I wanted to go back to summer in Wyoming.

Before coming to Africa I was amongst America's larger critics, a country filled with capitalism out the ass and general over indulgence in all areas of life besides open mindedness and truth was no place I felt I could support.

While it still has flaws, there are certain things that the country provides which Africa has not afforded.

Namely, the ability to walk alone at night or sit in a park...at peace. That may sound flightily, air headed, or petty especially with all the glaring deficiencies Africa has next to the states, but that is what has mean the most to me.

But yeah I guess just like when I spent a summer in the cold I knew that I would appreciate the warmth I was used to more than before, but still loved the spot where I was. Here in Cape Town, I know I will relish in the freedom America allots to me, while still loving the City I am currently in even though it does not a lot me those same freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment