Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Brandi's taken for granted reality is being challenged



It’s a scary thought about how four weeks can change your life. The change that occurs isn’t always negative, for people can and have changed for the better. You learn more about the world around you and become different based on new views and new information you have to process. You feel like you have been living in an unrealistic bubble throughout your life up until this moment, where things always go your way and you have never truly been placed in an uncomfortable situation. When you move outside of your comfort zone, the beliefs you have been content with your whole life are challenged. You may feel like you don’t know who you are, or what to truly believe anymore. But the only thing you can do is keep living. You keep learning and listening to those around you and it is your choice what you believe and take to heart.

It is frightening for me to think about how little I truly knew about the world before coming on this trip.  Throughout my whole life I have learned about ‘US History’, from the Revolutionary War, to the Civil War- we know exactly how to wave our flag. But what about the trials and tribulations other countries have been through and still are going through on a daily basis. There is so much more to the world then just my American bubble. I thought about those expectations of learning more about another culture by coming here, but I honestly didn’t realize I would learn that much more about my own culture and government as well. It’s a very intimidating feeling to realize how little I knew about my own government and countries history and how it took me a trip to South Africa to learn that much more.

The South African culture has so many different contrasts to the United States culture. Here, time is relative. People are more relationship oriented and focus more on their interactions with each other then getting somewhere on time. They have a very relaxed sense of time, and it is something I truly love about being here. Along with that comes the ability to see so much good in everyone. That is one of the main things I have learned from being here. People are so willing to help everyone, even if it is a stranger. In the United States it seems like everyone is so goal oriented and focused on getting places on time that they miss the journey along the way. By stopping and talking to the stranger in the elevator with you, you can meet the most interesting person of your life. And that is what they do here. Its incredible to me how I have missed out on so much just by rushing to places and didn’t stop to breathe.
           
Brandi on Table Mountain
The past week here in South Africa has been incredible. I never thought I could be in a place where I learn so much each and every day. But as the next day come, it still ceases to amaze me at how much I am learning and growing. I spent all day on Friday at Camps Bay, and had an amazing time. We explored, saw the sunset, and experienced a new sense of freedom. The next day, a large group of us hiked Table Mountain. Not only was that physically the hardest thing I have ever done, but it was one of the most rewarding as well. Not just because of the amazing view from the top, but the fact that I found how far I can push myself. I pushed myself mentally, physically and emotionally and would do it all over in an instant.

The government, politics, concepts of race, and ideas about the future are all relative to everyone you talk to. But one thing is for sure, never be absolutely positive about one point of view because that view could suddenly be challenged. You will then realize that maybe it is time to make your own decisions and start learning about things happening around you. You will also realize that the small things you become upset over at the moment will mean nothing to you an hour later, a week later, or a year later. Take time to talk to a stranger or interact with someone you don’t know well. Take time for yourself to find your balance, and soon you will be the best person you can be. And that person is amazing.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment