Friday, February 17, 2012

Alex has found home, family, and inspiration in Cape Town

Alex with MK, just one of the
amazing people she has met

Never did I think I’d have the opportunity to meet so many amazing people in one city after just a few weeks. It seems like every other day I’m introduced to some incredible person who is driven and passionate about their community, city, and country. I’m not sure if they’re aware of their impact on me or not, even if I’m only around them for a short time, but they are definitely affecting me in so many ways. I feel privileged to be able to say I know these unique individuals, and I’m so thankful I get to learn from them in various ways.

At my internship I get to be around some of the most kind-hearted individuals out there. The most influential person there for me is Mama Titi, who for me is my African mother. Each morning she welcomes me with a huge hug, and asks about my day, weekend, morning, etc. The best part is, she sincerely wants to know. She cares so much about me, as well as everyone else at Beautiful Gate, and it’s amazing to have such a close connection to a woman who I met only a few weeks ago. We talk daily about important issues and she’s opened up about all parts of her life. You can see her passion for the children we work with, and the lengths she’s willing to go through to help them. I’ve been able to learn so much from her, and she doesn’t even notice that she’s teaching me. Patience is another trait she has, which I’m sure is difficult to maintain when you have an American girl constantly asking questions regarding culture, family, the surrounding communities, and how to properly speak Xhosa. Thankfully, she doesn’t get annoyed (at least I can’t tell if she does), and helps me learn everything I’m curious about. Mama Titi definitely helps make my time at Beautiful Gate that much more enjoyable- it’s nice to feel accepted as part of her family.

Amanda & Abongile
These inspirational people I’ve been introduced to aren’t always my elders. I’ve recently had the pleasure of meeting two REMARKABLE people who are about my age- Amanda and Bongi. I can try to explain the passion and drive that both of them possess, however my words won't accurately describe them. Both have this enthusiasm, which is extremely contagious, regarding life and helping the children in their community. We’ve gotten to meet with both of them in regards to Bongi’s soccer club Bongi and Amanda’s book club. Hearing them talk about what the force is behind their motivation, their goals for these kids, and how we can help is honestly more inspirational than I can tell you. Both Bongi and Amanda are devoted and hardworking and I can’t wait to get started with their projects. They show me how important it is to work within the community that I come from, working to create role models for kids. They show me how dedication and hard work can create an amazing organization. And most importantly, they show me that nothing can stand in your way. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to convey to them how much I appreciate what they’re doing in Khayelitsha, and how grateful I am to be able to help them, nor how honored I am to know them.

Cape Town is more than a city where I’m studying abroad for a few months. It’s more than a place with breathtaking landscapes, nightlife, and history. It’s a home. You arrive and are immediately welcomed into the large family that resides here. My “family” that I’ve been able to meet so far truly are impacting my life, helping me to grow and follow my heart and dreams regardless of any obstacles or doubts I may have. To these amazing people here who are currently in my life, thank you… because whether you know it or not you’re impacting more people than just the children you work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment