Monday, February 6, 2012

Amariliz settling at the clinic

My first week in the clinic, compared to Sister* Castle’s 18 yrs. The first week went pretty smooth, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Often I am not sure where I should be, but I think this is a result of the Cape Town Wave.  Ryan and I do not have placements but rather we are encouraged to go into different rooms at our own will and learn what we can. I am always assured that I will learn a lot here.

Initially I only thought of this as an experience, one means of feeling out my goals in life. I want to do and try rather than just observe. What I realized today was that there is a lot more to learn about the clinic than medical techniques and my exposure to hands on patient experience. Today I used my words and interacted with “my” patients by questioning them about the service that the clinic provides. I will not say that this is newly learned material, because it is not. Today however I listened and as such it is new. Most patients whether they are pediatric, adult care or simply at the clinic for dressings arrive when the clinic opens (7:30 and some earlier) and are often waiting all day, finally seen at 12 pm or even later. This is a long wait and one that I know most people that are on this trip with me could not imagine waiting. The most amazing part of all this waiting is that on all of my encounters not a single patient is annoyed or impatient. I have noticed that often when I am in the room the sister will take extra time to explain the procedure to me and walk me through her examination (slowing the process along). The patients are extremely receptive of my presence and often attempt to speak English, although it is not easy for them and often it is limited, so that I may understand their medical history.

Apart from the patients the staff is accepting and always willing to help us learn, and put in the extra effort to make us feel a part of the clinic. I see them as truly wonderful people who do their jobs because they honestly and whole heartily want to help make a difference. For some of the sisters their work does not stop here though, devoting their time for clinic hours to help  in their neighborhoods.

* nurses are called sister

No comments:

Post a Comment