Friday, February 10, 2012

Erica knows she is where she is meant to be

Erica, Alex, Brittany
I have been in Cape Town for four weeks and just completed my second week of my internship and I feel great! I have learned so much about the history of South Africa and the people who live here, in a short amount of time. I am looking forward to learning more throughout the three months I have left here. 


Everyday that I am able to go to my internship (three days a week) is always an experience, because I am able to learn from the students and teachers. I enjoy working and interacting with the students. The students I work with are eager to learn, whether it is about the American culture (which they are fascinated about) or what is planned for class that day.  This week, I was given the opportunity to teach two lessons on my own! At first I was reluctant, because I felt as if I was not ready to teach a class, but the teacher I shadow encouraged me to take the challenge and make the best of it and that is exactly what I did.  

I taught grade 9, and I was not as scared as I thought I would be. What made my day is that all the students enjoyed the class and the activity we did.  Next week I will be working with a teacher to get the intervention program up and running for the students. Intervention is an after school program where students get extra help on subjects they are falling behind in. I am truly looking forward to helping out with this program, because I have noticed many students who are struggling and having a hard time in certain areas of their work, and I cannot wait to help them in any way that I can. Everyday I walk out of my internship I know I am in the right place, and I know for a fact that my future will revolve around this population.
  

As the weekend is coming up I am looking forward to the Sabbath and going to church. I have had nothing but good experiences with visiting churches. Brittany and I have been to two churches so far one in Athlone (coloured community) and another in Langa (a black township). Both services have been nothing but amazing, and the people there are remarkable. I do not have sufficient words to express how wonderful the people here are and the kindness they show us. I love it here and I know this trip is not my last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment