Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kelsey's expanding appreciation of history . . . and art!

I’m really getting into the rhythm of things here in Cape Town. 

Kelsey
I think it’s safe to say I now feel like a true Capetonian. Everytime I think of the words Cape Town I always here the mini bus taxis yelling out the window with a whistle, “Cape Teown!” I am crossing the crazy main street of Rondebosch with ease. Playing Frogger in the middle of the road isn’t the easiest thing to get used to but living at the flat has made me become so comfortable with it – after all, I do cross it about six times a day. I’ll see people waiting on the side of the road for the crosswalk to allow them to cross the street and I can’t help but think “noob.”  
                 
Something worth noting is what I’ve realized this past week at my Thandokhulu internship. The learners (or students as Americans would say) in my eleventh grade classes were assigned a worksheet. While they were doing that, I decided to start reading through their history textbook. I came to the section describing Apartheid and noticed that there were at least four subsections pertaining to different perspectives – “White Afrikaans,” “Natives,” “Coloured,” etc. In each section it explained the general feelings of the particular class/race and gave voice to their side of the whole Apartheid system. In the school system I grew up in, not one of my history textbooks talked about any points of view of anyone. Instead, just the facts were given with an underlying “white perspective” bias. This just goes to show how much more race is recognized and talked about here. This variety of perspectives in my kids’ textbook amazed me.
                 

Lindiwe, Vernon’s daughter, had a fundraiser tonight which was a dance production, Outside the Box with some songs and a poem thrown in. It was INCREDIBLE! Seeing this show revived a submerged love for art. I think I forgot how much I truly love art because I’m rarely around it back home. Tonight made me realize just how unappreciated all forms of art are. The amount of talent Lindiwe and all of the other performers had was unbelievable; not to mention, I was laughing throughout the entire show at the MC’s. I could just feel the amount of love in that building and to be a part of that was beyond inspiring. I wish Lindwe all the best of luck as she heads to Las Angeles later this month.

My mom and her best friend are coming to visit me tomorrow and I am so freaking excited for them to come. I’ve got a whole week planned out for them. I can’t wait to give show them all the beauty Cape Town has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment