Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kelsey on her mom's visit

This past week has gone by unbelievably fast. As sad as I am to see it pass, I’m so happy that I was able to have such an amazing week with my mom and her friend Linda. I felt like it was orientation week all over again except with me being the coordinator and host. I felt honored to share my favorite Cape Town experiences so far and to be able to teach them all about South Africa’s history. What I forgot about orientation week though was just how go-go-go everything is. Every day we had a schedule to follow - places to be and people to meet. Here are just some of the things we did: explored the city, township tour with Vernon, trip around the peninsula and Boulder Beach with Vernon, Table Mountain, Waterfront, safari reservation excursion, dinner with Marita, Vernon, Esme, Lindiwe, my mom, Linda, and friends,  Cheetah encounter, wine tasting, etc. That isn’t even to mention all of the time we ate out. This week alone I think I’ve gained a couple pounds with the amount of food I’ve eaten. 

Among all of the great things we did together, I made sure they weren’t going to leave before they saw all sides of Cape Town. Most tourists that come to SA only ever see the classic tourist attractions – which basically means they only see the wealthy, predominantly white parts of the city. However, as I’ve learned from personal experience, there is so much beyond that that needs to be seen and experienced to get a true feel of Cape Town along with the spirit of the people. I wouldn’t let them leave without seeing the good and the bad; after all, Cape Town has one of the biggest economic gaps of all cities. The township tour literally changed their entire perspective on not only the economy but the people, social issues, and politics of Cape Town. What I found ironic was that prior to my mom getting here I had shown her all my pictures and tried to describe the best I could what effect both sides have had on me. She said she understood but I was still extremely doubtful because Cape Town is something you have to experience and see firsthand otherwise it just isn’t understood. This past week has given my mom the opportunity to truly realize that. I’m happy that I shared so many experiences with my mom because when I inevitably go back home I’ll have someone that can relate to everything I’m saying and really understand. I know I’m rambling but it’s just so hard to put into words how happy I am and what this past week has meant to me.

There are two things in particular that my mom and Linda found really intriguing – elluminati and xenophobia. I had informed them about both things prior to coming to SA but they were hesitant to believe me. At Spier a couple of days ago, we were talking to the man who had made some beaded trees that my mom had bought while they were being wrapped. He asked us the standard “where are you from” questions and then asked if we knew about everyone in elluminati. He went on to tell us that he refuses to listen to Jay-Z, Beyonce, Bieber, etc. because he won’t listen to anyone who worships satan. We tried explaining to him our doubts that this cult actually exists on such a large scale like that but, as he said, he “saw it on t.v. and the t.v. wouldn’t lie.” I’ve experienced opinions like his before at Thandokhulu so I wasn’t too surprised but I can’t say the same for my mom and Linda. 

That very same day, our taxi driver gave them another whirlwind. After talking to him for a bit, we learned that he was from an outside country (I can’t remember which one), he liked Mr. Obama, and he identifies himself as a black person. Then he went on a rant about how the “coloured people were reckless and unaccountable because they always jump into things without thinking” and how all foreigners are ruining the population because they are taking SA away from its “true self.” Upon passing by a stand that sold hand crafted beaded flowers by the commons, I expressed interest in buying some of them soon. The driver’s response to that was, “No, don’t buy from them. They are all Zimbabweans and don’t deserve to be here. They are lazy…” I could see my mom’s face getting heated and I knew then that she really understood just how prevalent xenophobia is. When talking to her about it afterwards, she was really mad that people could be like that, especially to refugees. I understood where she was coming from because it angers and baffles me too but I also told her that it isn’t just prevalent in SA but America too – with Mexican and Islamic people currently and many other races in the past. She never realized that before and is now so interested in the issue. Between elluminati and xenophobia, I’d say my mom and Linda had quite the day.
           
Well I’m off to make some food and start some homework. As hard as it was today to see them leave for home, I’m looking forward to working off those couple pounds I’ve gained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment