Friday, February 10, 2012

Brittany on faith and the spirit of ubuntu

Brittany & Erica
In the past week, I have grown to love the people of Cape Town even more. Most people are genuinely invested in caring for others. It’s called the spirit of Ubuntu: I am because we are. Coming from a northern city in the U.S., I have a hard time understanding the genuine hospitality that people give.  Back in Connecticut we are so busy and into our lives that we barely take time to ask how are you. Here, it’s different. When people take time to ask you how you are doing and even invite you home. Through meeting the people at my internship and in my church community, I have really experienced the meaning of Ubuntu.

Going into my internship last week, I was a little nervous. My internship is a respected institution of Cape Town and I was unsure of how I would be received. However, I should not have worried. Although a very professional environment the people are still genuinely concerned with making you feel welcome. Not only are the people willing to help you learn, they are also willing to take time just to have a conversation. Sometimes, I get caught up in a task but have to realize that there is never too little time to ask someone about their day.
Britt
Another way the people have shown their hospitality so far is in their habit of inviting for dinner. At first, it seemed strange that co-workers would invite me home for dinner. Back in the states I would not expect anyone I work with to invite me home for dinner, after only knowing me for one week. But here the people genuinely invite you into their lives and want you to feel as if you are home.

My second major experience with Ubuntu was with in my church community. Thus far I have visited two churches in South Africa. At each one I have been fed and made to feel apart of the family. I first visited the Seventh-Day Adventist church in Athlone. After service we were warmly invited home by members of the church. Even though she was not expecting guest, she gave us good food, great conversation and the feeling that we belonged. Ever since then, the Adventist community in Cape Town has continued to nurture us.

I most especially enjoyed our visit to Langa Seventh Day Adventist Church. Not only was this church accommodating to English Speakers but everyone acknowledged my friend and I. At the end of the service, a lady I did not even know made sure that we had a place to eat. Throughout the rest of the day at Langa, we continued to experience the Ubuntu spirit. At the end of the day, a member of the church was talking with us and explaining the spirit of Ubuntu. He said he knew Africa had its problems but he would not want to live in any other place. I hope that I will live with the spirit of Ubuntu back in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment