Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sam faces new adventures, new challenges

I love being back in Cape Town! I had really missed it for the week we were away in Johannesburg. This week has been a pretty relaxing week so far because Christel House along with most of the schools have a two week break for Easter. I miss getting up to see my class. I wish I could see them so much, but it will be even more exciting to see them in two weeks! 

On Monday Brandi and I got to have a new adventure. We had been talking to Zoe and Nomsa who both work for Africa Unite which sponsors an after school program in Nyanga. We took a bus to Nyanga on Monday afternoon, not knowing what to expect at all, and soon arrived in Nyanga and then got a ride over to the church that they use to operate the program. Since the kids are out of school, they arrived a little late and Brandi and I made sandwiches for them while we were waiting. We were talking to Thandi and Sweetness, two women who run the program, and learned that due to lack of funding of Africa Unite the program is nothing like what it used to be. 

When they had more funding they provided hot meals instead of just sandwiches, did more homework, and provided life skills and more educational services. Now the program is just a place where students can come and play after school. Both Thandi and Sweetness are not planning on continuing with the program after Monday because they can’t support themselves by doing volunteer work. Both women have families to support and need to find other work in order to provide food for their children. 

It made me sad that this awesome program isn’t going to continue just because they don’t have the funds to do so. I don’t even know who will be running the program next week since the only two adults there said they were leaving. I’m hoping that we can do something because those kids are amazing! We got to play games with them and although not many spoke English we were still able to have fun and learn a little about each other. 

There were students of all ages from 7-18. A few of the students were playing drums and dancing for us. There were also 3 young girls who sang and they had some of the most amazing voices I had ever heard. Later we played games outside and there was a girl with special needs who was incredible and so loving. Even the other kids there loved her and those three hours spent at the church were three of my favorite hours spent in Cape Town. Thandi also invited us to see her house one day soon so I’m really hoping that works out since she lives in an informal settlement and I would love to see where she lives and what her life is like. I’m excited to see what happens next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment