Monday, March 26, 2012

Erica: encouraged to follow up on what she has seen and heard


                                                                  Game Drive: Rebecca, Brandi, Erica, Brittany, Nellie at Kruger National Park

How many people get to say “I saw the Big Five within two days at Kruger National Park”?  I am very fortunate to be able to say this exact statement!  This past week Uconn in Cape Town 2012 spent five days in Johannesburg (“Jozzie”) and two days at Kruger National Park located in the province of Mpumalanga. During our stay in Johannesburg we were given the opportunity to visit the Hector Pietersen MuseumApartheid Museum, Sharpeville Human Rights Center, Constitution Hill and Old Johannesburg Prison., and the Johannesburg Development Agency.  All of these places were very informative and has encouraged me to follow up on what I briefly saw and heard. 
            

As much as I enjoyed my time in Johannesburg two events that stood out to me the most was the musical: Scenes from Soweto and the Old Johannesburg Prison. The musical Scenes from Soweto was performed at the Old Mutual Theatre on the Square.  This musical took its audience on a journey of a typical day and life in Soweto.  The musical was humorous and enjoyable. I absolutely fell in love with the music.
             

Old Johannesburg Prison.
Later that week we went to  Constitution Hill and Old Johannesburg Prison. The prison stood out to me the most because the facility was kept to its original state. Every room I went into, I felt as if I was actually there when inmates were imprisoned. I am currently reading The Number by Jonny Steinberg. This book recounts an ex-gang member search for his identity within the prison gangs and outside prison in society. This book provides a lot of historical information regarding the foundation of prison gangs, the apartheid struggle, and transformations Cape Town went through with the creation of townships in the Cape Flats.  Our tour guide for the Old Johannesburg Prison talked about the influence gangs had in the prisons, and I was enticed to ask him more about the gangs.  He went on to explain to me the gangs that had the most power in the prison.  I mentioned to him that I was reading The Number  and the conversation became more interesting. We talked about the leader of a bandit group called Nongoloza who was an inmate in the prison. All this information made me ecstatic and want to do more research on gangs in and out prisons!


Kelsey & Erica at Skukuza Lodge
Early Thursday morning we left for Kruger National Park.  Our group stayed in Skukuza Lodge, which is the largest campsite in Kruger.  We lived in beautiful bungalows (three persons per room) with straw rooftops. After our two game drives (afternoon and morning) we were given the opportunity to individually chose to do another game drive or a game walk.  During the first two game drives I was able to see three of the Big 5: African elephants, a lion, and rhinos.  I decided to do another game drive with Rina and Kenzie.  The game was definitely worth it because I was able to see two leopards! As we were departing the park for Johannesburg our driver spotted two buffalos, which completed the BIG 5! So there you have it nothing will ever beat spring break 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment