Friday, March 16, 2012

Meika learning from friendships


Over the past few weeks, I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know a teenaged girl named Zintle.  I would describe Zintle as personable and bubbly.  She is so sweet, and has a kind of warmth about her that you notice immediately.  She is my and Alex’s “little sister” whom met at a book club in Khayelitsha, and every week we meet up to hang out. 

Last weekend, we went to the Two Oceans Aquarium together, and it was a blast!  We walked around, and laughed at the bizarre fish and critters.  We got to see a penguin feeding AND a shark feeding.  I already love aquariums but seeing Zintle’s excitement and enthusiasm made me appreciate our outing that much more. 

I think the time with Zintle that I value most is when we are just talking and sharing our lives with each other.  Zintle tells us about traditions in the Xhosa culture, and we talk about our lives in America.  Alex and I tell her about college life at UConn, and she tells us about her high school and favorite classes, especially Drama.  We share silly stories about our friends and families. 

I think meeting Zintle and getting to spend time with her has been one of the most important experiences I’ve had here.  I’m excited to learn more about her, and build our friendship together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment