Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Erica on reaching for goals

Erica making it to the top
During my time here in Cape Town, I have been avoiding an activity that many people here on the trip enjoy. This activity is hiking! Every time I heard people from the group organizing hikes I would tell them to count me out, but this past weekend was different.

There is a tradition here in Cape Town that many tourist take part in which is to hike Lion’s Head every full moon.  As a group we left the house at about 5 p.m. in hopes of beating rush hour. As we approached the bottom of Lion’s Head, I noticed that there was going to be many people hiking as well.  I stayed with a small group, which consisted of Kimmie, Kelsey, and I.  I truly appreciated hiking with them because they were very encouraging and supportive.  There were many times I wanted to give up and wait for everyone at the bottom of the hill, but they continually pushed me to keep going. That push was definitely worth it because what I witnessed on top of that mountain I shall never forget.

What made this day even better is that it was Ryan’s birthday. As soon as the sunset, we went to the opposite side of Lion’s Head to watch the moon rise. As we sat there the group began to sing happy birthday to Ryan and everyone else on top of the mountain joined in.

As I take time to look back at the hike, I find it symbolic to my life.  There are many times in life and I am sure for others that we want to give up or doubt certain goals we want to accomplish. In the end it is worth continuing, because goals can become life changing and a significant part of life.
Viewing the sunset from Lion's Head

No comments:

Post a Comment