Thursday, March 15, 2012

Becky appreciating the beauty in the world


There are some moments in life where you just stop a stare in awe of what is before you, and those few seconds or minutes are absolutely perfect in every way. On Thursday of last week most of the group and I hiked up Lion’s Head to watch the full moon rise over Cape Town. I knew this was going to be amazing because I have seen from previous years that every group does it and I have heard from locals that it something that everyone has to do while you are here in Cape Town. So we started the hike around five in the afternoon so we could get a spot up on the top to watch the sunset. Not only did we have to hike up but we also had to climb up ladders and rock faces, all the while we had a stunning view of the city. Finally getting to the top felt so exhilarating. I’ll try and describe what I saw next…I looked over at Table Mountain and the clouds were being pushed over the top of it and spilling over like an overflowing cup while the rest were being pushed off into the ocean. The sunset was a perfect mix of pink, oranges, and yellows going right into the brilliant blue of the ocean. As we all sat watching the sun sink I thought about all the great times I have had here in Cape Town and I just wanted to freeze that moment forever so that I can always remember how perfect life is. When the sun had disappeared we quickly ran over to the other side and saw our city. The Mother City was slowly turning its lights on and above it were deep blues, purples, and pinks and the most amazing moon I have ever seen. It was absolutely huge and glowing yellow. Then of course the clouds were still spilling over Table Mountain. It was one of those moments that a picture could never do justice. Not only had I had a moment of complete perfection watching the sunset, but then I go over to the other side of the mountain and see the full moon. I think it is important to take a step back and appreciate the beauty in this world, whether you are sitting on Lion’s Head in Cape Town or on horse barn hill in Storrs. Cape Town has made me appreciate everything I have ever had in my life. I feel so lucky and blessed to have the opportunity to be here and be alive. I wish I could bottle my emotions and give it to everyone I love so they can feel everything I get to. Life is such a wonderful thing that I think gets taken for granted by everyone in the world. I just hope I gave everyone reading this post a mental picture of some of the things that I get to see on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment