Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rina's excursion experince

We just returned from excursion, and it was just like a family vacation; being forced to spend each and everyday together, like a dysfunctional family.  The museums were very informative and extravagant.  I enjoyed going to the apartheid museum, and learning about Nelson Mandela's life history (even though much of it was taken from his book, Long Walk to Freedom).  However, there was so much to see, and not enough time, I wished we could have spent the entire day there.  One thing I noticed was the great emphasis on Mandela, and while he is the icon for leading the struggle against apartheid, there were many other people involved.  There was a separate room in the museum for Robert Sobukwe, and we had very little time to read his story.  One thing that caught my attention in this room was the guest book, that visitors may sign and write a comment.  There were two people who had written their gripes.  They wondered what kinds of people come to the apartheid museum; they'd observed a group of young black people that entered the room, asked, "Who is this guy?" looked around for about two minutes, and walked out.  The couple left their race anonymous at first, then admitted to being a white, and a colored.  I also considered the people that come to the museum, but now I wonder, does it matter?  It is important for everyone to see what happened in South Africa's history, but maybe more-so for the people that live here.  They should know about their history, because it is so prevalent in the present day, and it affects their everyday lives.  

Kruger was the highlight of the excursion! The drive from Jo-burg (Jozi) wasn't too long, as we drove through Mpumalanga.  The game drive's were exciting because we didn't know if we were gong to see anything, but when we did, it was magical.  I won't list off what I saw, but I will brag that I saw the BIG FIVE.  :)  I wish we could have stayed in Kruger longer, the stars were amazing and the chalet's we stayed in were luxurious, equipped with air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment