Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Becky: family is a feeling you get in your heart

When I look at the definition of the word family I see something along the lines of parents and their children, people connected by blood or descendants from one another. I have people who fit this description like my parents, brothers, and other relatives who live in the United States and the United Kingdom, and up until this weekend I thought that was it. Now I know I have a family that will always be here for me in Cape Town, even though I may not be related by blood or even have the same skin color but here that doesn’t seem to matter.

This past weekend I went on a home stay to a township called Ocean View. The program coordinator for Volunteer Mzansi Afrika, Chantel, had told us that the residents of Ocean View had been displaced from their original homes under apartheid. There are also a lot of negative thoughts about people from Ocean View, although after spending the weekend there I have no idea why anyone would judge such wonderful people. Brandi and myself stayed at Chantel’s parents house, which I immediately felt welcomed to. I have never felt so comfortable with strangers in my life, because they never made it feel like we were strangers. There were open arms (and plenty of food) waiting for us when we arrived and it was just wonderful.

All weekend I found myself surrounded by strangers, but never once did I ever stop and feel uncomfortable. Everyone was so warm and inviting, and it made me feel like a part of their huge Ocean View family. At the end of our stay I almost started crying because it meant so much for me to meet these amazing people. They give everything they can and have had so much taken from them. It is incredible that they are still willing to take volunteers in and give them a place to stay. I have to go back to Ocean View, I feel like there is so much good there that just being around all the people makes me feel better about this world. I have a family here, and I don’t care that we don’t have the same blood coursing through our veins because family is a feeling you get in your heart here in Cape Town.
Maria, Nicole, Kelsey, Becky, Kimmi, Brandi, Rebeca, Rina, & Kristin
during homestay weekend in Ocean View

No comments:

Post a Comment