Friday, December 9, 2011

Mackenzie's introduction

Hello! I’m Mackenzie and my major is psychology! I am so excited to get on that plane and begin this awesome journey! We have known about our acceptance for a few months now, and soon it will become reality. Lately I have gotten so distracted with school work that I forget where I am headed in a month, but when I remember I feel excited, nervous, and blessed J. I remember attending the symposium and calling my mom immediately after because I seriously could not contain my excitement. I knew this was something I wanted to do, it touched my heart immediately.

I have felt over the last few years I have been very introspective. While this is incredibly important, I feel that can only get you so far. At some point I knew it was time to extend my energy outwards. I am a firm believer that the only way to feel love is to give love, and what better way to give love than to help those who truly need it? I feel that in our culture we tend to limit how much love and care we give to others, and it does nothing good for our well beings. I am so fortunate for my education, family, friends, warm bed, food, security – it is only fair that I reach out to those who may not have all those things. We all are life, we all are one, and it feels right to dedicate my attention and care to another. That is why, selfishly, this trip feels like a treat for me J. I also wanted to go on this trip because I knew it would challenge me, and more importantly than giving it would push me to learn. I know so little about other cultures and issues around the world, and this is such an amazing opportunity to learn about them. I’m hoping to learn about myself, about the people of South Africa, and about life in general. UCONN is a lovely place, but there is only so much I can learn from sitting in a classroom J. The best way to learn is to immerse yourself in a new environment, and that is what we will get to do. 

I ultimately hope to learn more about this beautiful world I get to live in, while growing as a person and learning how to contribute in a positive way.

I can’t wait to get there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment