Thursday, December 22, 2011

Brittany's introduction

Hello Everyone! My name is Brittany Kerr and I am a junior at the University of Connecticut. My majors are History and Human Rights. I first heard about this opportunity through a friend who had previously participated in the program. When she described how she engaged in human rights through an internship and took classes dealing with social issues, I thought this may be something I would enjoy. I was considering studying abroad in my junior year and Cape Town seemed like the perfect opportunity to engage in human rights and work in a meaningful internship. In addition, I was excited to visit the country of South Africa and learn from their long struggle with racism and oppression.
           
Ever since I was accepted into the program, I have been caught up in a whirlwind of excitement. There is so much preparation for a three month trip. However, the effort put into going is priceless in comparison to the experiences I will have. This program is unique not only in its location but in its focus on human rights. This internship will allow me to work with human rights by helping others realize their rights. While I am looking forward to helping, I am also looking forward to learning from my experiences in South Africa. The internship will prepare me for a future in human rights law by allowing me to work with law. Also, in working with labor and gender rights cases, I will be able to use the law to help others achieve their rights. Finally, I am looking forward to learning about the people and the culture of South Africa.

            When I leave on January 12, I hope to enter into an unforgettable experience where I will build friendships, learn about South Africa and learn about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment