Saturday, December 31, 2011

Introduction from Alex

Hi! My name is Alex Collins and I am a junior at the University of Connecticut. I’m double majoring in Anthropology and French, with a minor in Women’s Studies. I actually didn’t hear of this program until I had an advising meeting with Marita who I was assigned to for my Women Studies minor. We met to discuss my plan of study and she began telling me about Cape Town and I was immediately hooked. I studied abroad in Paris last year and gained so much from the experience so I knew that I would love to go abroad again. What really drew me to this program in particular, however, was the opportunity to be involved in an internship three days a week. I love nothing more than being hands on and really being able to make a difference in people’s lives. I really felt like by participating in this program I’d be able to do just that. I love to travel to new places, meet new people, and gain new outlooks on life, and I think by going to Cape Town I will be able to see all of that. Not only will we gain knowledge through books, but also through hands on experiences, which I think is amazing!

When I left my meeting with Marita I knew I was supposed to go to South Africa (or at least apply!). I’m a strong believer in signs, and I didn’t have a doubt that this was one. I’ve always had a passion to travel to new places, meet and study people, and learn anything and everything I can about my surroundings. I hope that by going to Cape Town I’ll be able to do that, and also have a positive impact on the community around me. There’s nothing more important to me than giving to others anyway I can, and through this program I think I’ll have the opportunity to do just that.

It’s only two weeks away until I step foot in Cape Town and I am SO excited. I can’t wait to spend the next few months with some amazing peers while making a difference, and enjoying the fabulous Cape Town! 

No comments:

Post a Comment